• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guitars...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitars...

Following on from a recent "Amp" thread, anyone else into their guitars ??

I got chatting with some guys here at ClientCo last week, and turns out we have all played / sung in bands over the years. So we hired out a recording studio to have a jam (where the Kaiser Chiefs practice!) and we made some sweet (and not so sweet!) music for a few hours.

I turned up with a late 90's USA Strat (with FAT 50's if that means anything to anyone!) and the other chap had a nice Gibson Les Paul - We did some Radiohead, Kings of Leon, early Blur...

Brought back all the great memories from the early 90's and MADchester scene. Remind me where that last 15 to 20 years went

indeed

Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 April 2011, 12:30.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Nice. Not too well up on Gretch, is that the Country Gent ?

Incidentally, for anyone interested, the current line up is:

1. Martin solid hardwood dreadnought acoustic
      2. Fender USA Strat late 90's (with FAT 50's)
      3. Yamaha APX400
      4. Aria 12 String
      5. Antoria Jumbo 1960's (Gibson Bumblebee replica)
      6. £20 guitar from Argos for anyone who comes around and wants to play

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
        I have a cheap knock off telecaster, but I can't really play at all. I know a few chords, but I've forgotten their names...

It's good for a bit of fun now and then, for about 5 minutes at which point my fingertips start coming off. I'll get back into again at some point. I think the lack of early success put me off.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          indeed

Isn't that the 300 quid el-cheapo Gretsch? Looks to be seriously lacking in shiny bits and no Caddy Bridge....

Comment

Got a '79 USA Strat, bought new, sold and bought back twice

Some cheap Yammy stratty type thing that anyone can play with (but a really nice action) and a fender cutaway acoustic, an applause (immitation Ovation) acoustic and some chink 12 string thing that never gets played. In fact, none of the acoustics really get played.

The strat is my 'weapon of choice' and a gig tool so gets used every weekend.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Isn't that the 300 quid el-cheapo Gretsch? Looks to be seriously lacking in shiny bits and no Caddy Bridge....
              Do Gretsch do any "cheapo" guitars ? Thought everything they did was four figures...

Saying that, Takamine have started to bring out a sub £300 acoustic which is meant to be great for the £££

Comment

G'Day

I have the perfect singing voice for the silent movies, and I cant play, because I have a left hand on my right wrist, and vice versa.

But, I picked up a digi in Auralia a few years ago, and taught myself how to play it

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  Nice. Not too well up on Gretch, is that the Country Gent ?

Incidentally, for anyone interested, the current line up is:

1. Martin solid hardwood dreadnought acoustic
                  2. Fender USA Strat late 90's (with FAT 50's)
                  3. Yamaha APX400
                  4. Aria 12 String
                  5. Antoria Jumbo 1960's (Gibson Bumblebee replica)

The G5125, which is actually more like £700 actually. Great pickups /(Dealmond), the bridge is fine, if I had to change anything it would be the machine head, keep it in tune, but I think that is generally a problem with any Gretsch.

It may not come across in the picture but I can assure you this guitar looks fabulous in real life, and sounds fabulous as well, with a big Gretsch sound. I can assure when I open up the guitar gig bag the other members of the band oggle in admiration. The Gretsch is a BIG guitar. My other guitar is a Rickenbacker, and since I got the Gretsch I don't even bring the Rickenbacker as a spare guitar.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have

1. Ricky 330, black.

2. Epiphone Dot (ES-335 copy)

I have had;

1. Fender Squier - ok...

2. Ricky 360-12, 1973 in Burgundy with Rick-O-Sound - stolen - bastards.

3. Roland GR-707 and GR-303 guitar synths with Strat guitar with rs-232 interface lead - honest. Sold to one Paul weller c 1982 who's never played it AFAIK...

4. Kay Les Paul copy - scraping the barrel now..

5. Eko acoustic 12 string with a 4" action on the seventh fret.

My Son bought a Les Paul copy from a chinese copy called Tradetang, I feared the worst since I was paying - but it's fantastic! Best I played and my bro (who is in a band) has 'real' Gibson's galore, I've played his tulipty Explorer and SG from 1983...

have a google - they do Gretsch's too - and 12 string Ricky's - all badged up and play better than any originals I've played, well, older originals, like 70/80's - admittedly not the best decades for US guitars...

Comment

Working...
                    X