• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract start date dilemna

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract start date dilemna

Moving back into contracting after a while away from it. Had a phone interview today for a decent contract close to home. Good money.

Its looking good at the moment. Only thing is their being really funny about start date.

I'm on a course next week paid for by the Welsh Assembly government. If I dont turn up, not only will I miss out on the course but I'll be obliged to shell out for the cost - in all I'll be about £2500 out of pocket.

But you guessed it, the client is adamant the start date must be next monday latest. I know for a fact that the client has been looking for someone for a good couple of months and hasn't found someone with the skills and SC clearance so I dont know why its so last minute. I dont think they've got anyone else in mind.

What would you do?

A) Refuse to be bullied and call their bluff. A decent client would understand and wait a week.

B) Bite the bullet, cancel the course, start the contract.

I'm tending towards (A) to be honest, because I dont think they've got anyone else, and I'm not sure I'd be happy working for someone who'd let their first choice go over a weeks different start date. It all seems a bit too rushed and frantic.

Opinions wanted though....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Or take the contract and spin out the legal stuff for a week, like ID checks, IR35 reviews

Do anything to stall them so you end up turning up a week later, with the games agencys play its not hard to do

It all depends how easy you think you can get something else in case they walk ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I'd be tempted to say A - as you say, a client who's that fussed over a week, after you've explained the situation, seems a bit antsy.
      But it depends what the day rate is - and if you can defer the training... I'd be more inclined to take it on the chin if your contract more than recoups the cost inside a week - and would put pressure on the training co to slot you in at a later date if possible.

Don't bluff and bluster - explain things clearly to the hiring manager/PM in question if you can. Most reasonable PMs would make do if it's been hell finding resources. Some PMs here may disagree - but I've worked in quite laid-back environments. No experience of SC/DV cleared work though.

Comment

As others have said, explain you have a previous commitment and will be on site bright and early a week later. You don't have to tell them it's training, you're just not available for business reasons.

More importantly... how did you get that rable to fund training.

Comment

Are you sure it's the client pushing? Agents are tossers in these situations and in most cases it's agency who is being insistent all for the sake of a weeks commission.

I'd have a chat with the interviewer/client directly to clarify.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you are to be a contractor, that means 100% commitment , which means taking option B. I mean, what is the course ? Welsh language ? or the cultural and social impact of speaking in a sing-song voice with spittle flying everywhere ? And £2,500 ? surely if they have gone to all the effort to find you a place, it behoves you to make an equal effort and take the course, its probably an agents deadline and not the clients anyway, so its option A all the way

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              If you are to be a contractor, that means 100% commitment , which means taking option B. I mean, what is the course ? Welsh language ? or the cultural and social impact of speaking in a sing-song voice with spittle flying everywhere ? And £2,500 ? surely if they have gone to all the effort to find you a place, it behoves you to make an equal effort and take the course, its probably an agents deadline and not the clients anyway, so its option A all the way

Should have been a poll.

I vote A.

If they are that up their @rse they should be grateful to get you at all.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

A for me as well.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

A for me.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

A.

But to show willing, ask them to send some documentation etc. over so that you can really hit the ground running a week later. You'll do the background stuff that usually takes a day of their time on your own back for free.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X