• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black hole bombs at the LHC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something else to worry about, potentially, or maybe interesting anyway.

Not the usual "expanding black hole swallowing the Earth" scenario, but the ability of rotating black holes to vastly amplify energy of particles scattered off them in the right way:

Rotating (or Kerr) black holes exhibit a very interesting phenomenon known as superradiant scattering. When a wave of the form e^(−i \omega t)e^(i m \phi) is incident on a rotating object of angular velocity \Omega, the wave is amplified if \omega < m \Omega.

If one surrounds the rotating object by a mirror which reflects the scattered wave, the wave bounces back and forth between the black hole and the mirror. During the process the wave amplifies itself and the extracted energy from the black hole grows exponentially. This is so called the Press-Teukolsky blackhole
    bomb [8].

Even though there were no mirror, a mass term can play a role of the mirror to reflect the scattered field back to the black hole. In this case the massive field is in the bound state with the black hole. There are many works on the black hole bomb where a massive particle is bound to a celestial black hole under superradiance
    Perhaps in 50 or 100 years they will be able to harness this, and use miniature black holes as super-duper accelerators far more powerful than the LHC (although of course you might still need something like the LHC to produce the black holes in the first place).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I've got powering my Mac book pro, I've not switched it off since 1999
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Will this make my car go faster?

Comment

Working...
      X