• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SpaceX to launch huge new rocket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpaceX to launch huge new rocket

The Californian SpaceX company says it plans to launch the most powerful rocket since the Apollo era in 2013.
    BBC News - SpaceX to launch huge new rocket

So a single private US start-up company is to eclipse the UK's entire space programme, historic and likely future, in one mighty bound. Meanwhile we can't even land something called a Beagle made of Lego and string using a borrowed rocket technology which did work. We don't do science innit.

It's good to see the end of the Shuttle though, with more powerful rockets developing, which are almost as powerful as those developed by our ancestors, that might open up space again.

p.s. the SpaceX has a high penis quotient too, after the boosters are jettisoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Their Website
      Established in 2002 by Elon Musk , the founder of PayPal and the Zip2 Corporation, SpaceX has already developed two brand new launch vehicles, established an impressive launch manifest, and been awarded COTS funding by NASA to demonstrate delivery and return of cargo to the International Space Station. Supported by this order book and Mr. Musk's substantial resources, SpaceX is on an extremely sound financial footing as we move towards volume commercial launches.
      Private money being spent is not subject to some of the restrictions imposed on public money. Btw, the company admits that it's building on the technology of others.

Originally posted by Their Website
      Although drawing upon a rich history of prior launch vehicle and engine programs, SpaceX is privately developing the Dragon crew and cargo capsule and the Falcon family of rockets from the ground up, including main and upper stage engines, the cryogenic tank structure, avionics, guidance & control software and ground support equipment.

Comment

I think we can conclude that Mr Musk has a very dinky winky.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          We don't do science innit.
          <pedant>engineering</pedant>
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Sheldon Cooper View Post
            Engineering, where the semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream.

Hello Oompa-Loompas of science.

Comment

Engineering

The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.

Like space rockets. The UK is quite good at satellites though.

Comment

Oi TimberWolf! I've just repeatedly swatted my monitor and found out it was your avatar! Nice one!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X