• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

999 State of the country

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

999 State of the country

Last night I had the misfortune of a deer leeping into the path of my car and it was badly injured. Unlike a lot of people I did the right thing and stopped and tried everything I could to help. One passer by also stopped - the rest sped by at full speed even though this badly injured deer was left in the middle of the road. The injuries were such that to move the deer would cause terrible pain.

We called the police for help because of the danger of cars swerving etc, the first call was answerred by someone with very little knowledge of the English language and took over 5 minutes for her to understand what was meant. Before the call was logged she was asking silly questions as to what type of deer, what sex it was, how tall is it etc etc. All irrelevant at that moment. We waited for over half hour and nobody had arrived and called again to find out that a police car was being sent from 20 miles away as that was the nearest available car. We had asked for a Vet during the call but the officer first had to come to access the situation before calling a vet. An hour after it happened the police finally arrived and a Vet was called but they could not find a vet for nearly an hour as every vet they were calling refused to help as they would be in breach of the European Working Directive. At one point we considerred using an alternative to put the deer out of its misery. The Policeman said at this point that it was not in the interests of the police to attend such incidents as it is not on their targets - each officer has to accumulate 200 points per month and a deer being run over blocking a main road does not achieve anything on the points system. The vet unfortunately had to put the deer down nearly 2 1/2 hours later.

What chance have we got in this country if
    1. 999 calls are answerred by people with little English
    2. You have to complete a survey as part of a 999 call - in my case they wanted me to measure the deer and find out its sex
    3. The nearest police car is 20 miles away
    4. A sufferring animal is refused treatment as it would be breach of the European Working Directive or whatever its called
    5. The police are reluctant to help in any situation because it is not on their points system and they will be disciplined for not accumulating enough points
    6. In such an event so few cared to help instead make the matters worse by driving at high speed close to where we stood to protect the deer.
    7. The only other person to stop was a pikey who no doubt had a list of restaurants who would buy the deer.

Oh Deer

Comment

Like every other arm of the state it is becoming more and more the case that the police are a fecking waste of time, they have a growing list of things they are reluctant to get involved in, neighbour disputes and deliberate damage to tenanted property are two I have experience of.

The way people just pass by is appaling. A few years back in Portsmouth on a Saturday afternoon there was a bloke unconscious on the pavement , reasonably well dressed, nothing to indicate it was drink or drugs, and people were just walking round him. If I hadn't called the ambulance who knows how long he would have been lying there?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Xog,

great story,

what happened next ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
        X