• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Safe Nuclear Power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Nuclear Power

Agree with George on this one:

The unpalatable truth is that the anti-nuclear lobby has misled us all | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

The one new thing I've learnt from this "disaster" where the casualties are two cleanup workers with sunburnt feet and a slightly evelated risk of skin cancer, is how harmless radiation is. Even if you get a massive dose your risk of getting cancer is still hundreds of tiimes lower than a smoker.

Lot of mass hysteria on this.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by blasterbates View Post
    agree with george on this one:

the unpalatable truth is that the anti-nuclear lobby has misled us all | george monbiot | comment is free | the guardian

the one new thing i've learnt from this "disaster" where the casualties are two cleanup workers with sunburnt feet and a slightly evelated risk of skin cancer, is how harmless radiation is. Even if you get a massive dose your risk of getting cancer is still hundreds of tiimes lower than a smoker.

Lot of mass hysteria on this.
    but think of the children!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Even if you get a massive dose your risk of getting cancer is still hundreds of tiimes lower than a smoker...
      which in turn is hundreds of times lower than if you take a deep breath as a deisel powered bus drives past belching huge clouds of deadly black particulate exhaust.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's the homoeopathy practitioners I feel sorry for... all of that radioactive water being discharged into the sea and diluted again and again and again....
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          The one new thing I've learnt from this "disaster" where the casualties are two cleanup workers with sunburnt feet and a slightly evelated risk of skin cancer, is how harmless radiation is. Even if you get a massive dose your risk of getting cancer is still hundreds of tiimes lower than a smoker. Lot of mass hysteria on this.
          Nuke plant workers risk lives - Chicago Sun-Times

Members of Japan's 'Fukushima 50' have come to terms with the fact they may die from radiation

Best Of Web: No takers for $6,000-a-day job offer - Emirates 24/7

Anyone who thinks those brave people at the reactor don't risk their lifes deserves to die horribly from this "harmless" radiation poisoning.

Nuclear power lobby sure acts fast but they are on a loser - this disaster will cause reevaluation of safety procedures with expensive plans for the unlikely events, all of this would increase cost of nuclear power massively - especially so given that there isn't that much uranium on this planet. So the nuclear generation ain't that cheap in the first place and with massive existential risks attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            [So the nuclear generation ain't that cheap in the first place and with massive existential risks attached to it.
            Too right. The risks are many and varied. For example, shortly after the major nuclear incident in Chernobyl, the Midlands became plagued by semi-literate, pedantic, squirrel-bothering, balding, obsessive, onanistic nerds with phobias about the issue of house-prices!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

While most of the radioisotopes released are fairly harmless beta emitters, they are nasty if inhaled or eaten. So a lot of land may be put out of commission for decades and perhaps fisheries too. It's a bit early to say how bad it's been yet, but the site will probably take decades to clean up and that'll probably be someone else's job. One for our kids to sort out.

Comment

HMS Astute is the latest nuclear submarine which has a nuclear power plant which does not need to be refueled during its lifetime which is expected to be around 10 years. This power plant is about the size of a container and produces enough power to provide electricity to a town the size of Southampton. Now wouldn't it be feasible to build such types of power plants and surely during their lifetimes we would have developed a way of disposing of the waste in a clean and safe fashion (i.e. shooting it millions of miles into space and buggering up the 3-eyed 8-armed freaks by chaning them into humans?)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Personal reactor

Linky
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    but think of the children!!!
                    Given that so many people are quite content to lumber their children and grandchildren with so much public debt that they'll be working themselves into an early grave....

Comment

Working...
                    X