• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wind Farms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Farms

So basically half the time they produce virtually nuffink.

BBC News - Wind farm efficiency queried by John Muir Trust study

The Germans are pushing to have these replace their base load Nuclear, to avoid a "Fukashima" disaster (two employees with sunburnt feet).

Makes sense really.
    I'm alright Jack

A sensible report about wind power at last. And the response from the industry is just oh so predictable.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It's actually a good statistic to have. 50%

It means we can get away from the hype (from both sides) and get down to brass tacks.

thats assuming, of course, that everyone buys the 50% figure

pj ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The report is here

Against the figure commonly claimed of an average 30% of capacity, the report found:

Average output from wind was 27.18% of metered capacity in 2009, 21.14% in 2010, and 24.08% between November 2008 and December 2010 inclusive
        So a few points below the claimed figure, but the study ran for just over 2 years and ...

Niall Stuart, chief executive of Scottish Renewables, which represents renewable energy companies in Scotland, said the winter of 2009/10 was one of the calmest on record and that it was "no surprise" output figures for the year were below average.
        The report was commissioned by the John Muir Trust, a Scottish land conservation group, adamantly anti-wind farm. Nothing wrong with that, but of the various ways of gathering the data and presenting the results they are obviously going to choose the soundbite that best suits their agenda....

Anyhow, I've a friend who works in the industry and I'll ask him for his expert view ....
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

30%

its worse than we thought then
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

You don't really need to put a gloss on it do you really, fact is the wind generators were producing 20% or below for 50% of the time.

Once a week they produce virtually nothing, of course a wind drop could occur at any time and it might just be a few minutes. At the moment there is the equivalent in Hydro available, but if you've no hydro, they're worse than useless because you need a gas turbine running and blowing out CO2, just in case the wind drops.

That is pretty dire.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 6 April 2011, 18:13.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You don't really need to put a gloss on it do you really, fact is the wind generators were producing 20% or below for 50% of the time.

That is pretty dire.

If we were living in pre industrial times, the cost in energy to grind your corn is massive. It makes a great amount of sense to build a mill, with a warehouse, and a granary, then wait for the wind to blow.

If you are trading with a ship, the cost in oar labour is massive. It makes a great amount of sense to build a ship with masts and sails, and wait for the wind to blow.

But now we dont live in preindustrial times

When I see pj posting here only when the wind is blowing, travelling to work only when the wind is blowing or eating only when the sun is shining, is the day I will take him and his like seriously

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Colour me sceptical. If you look at Page 9 you see that the data for 2008 shows an average of over 31%, why they chose November 2008 as a start point is not explained. The study only looked at wind stations metered by the National Grid - about 50%, with a mix of about 80% onshore wind. Towards the end of the survey period major new offshore plant came onstream so the figures are probably unrepresentative of the current and future performance.....

Comment

And when there's an accidenti?

It not nuclear, instead of sunburn you have decapitation

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

When I see pj posting here only when the wind is blowing, travelling to work only when the wind is blowing or eating only when the sun is shining, is the day I will take him and his like seriously
                    That really is the stawiest of Straw Men. It is possible now to be carbon neutral by using mainly green energy and offsetting the rest. Did you observe 2 minute silence for the 6 people who died today mining coal?

Comment

Working...
                    X