• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lawnmower Decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawnmower Decisions

About to strip the Mountfield down for the marathon so will soon be mowerless hence the need to make a quick decision.

Still quite sold on a cylinder mower for those stripes. Not so sure if the kit on offer is as good as the stuff you used to get. I seem to remember you could get a Ransom with interchangeable cylinders. One with blades for cutting, another with tines for aeration and another for scarification.

Anyone ever come across one of these? Perhaps I need to contact a professional supplier.

Wilmslow? Is that you Wiiiiiiiiiiiimsloooooooooow?

<Canned Laughter>
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      About to strip the Mountfield down for the marathon so will soon be mowerless hence the need to make a quick decision.

Still quite sold on a cylinder mower for those stripes. Not so sure if the kit on offer is as good as the stuff you used to get. I seem to remember you could get a Ransom with interchangeable cylinders. One with blades for cutting, another with tines for aeration and another for scarification.

Anyone ever come across one of these? Perhaps I need to get a fooking life!!
      FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Dunno if you can still get those - but there are loads on ebay. I am using (have used today indeed) my Dad's old 24" Webb ride-on - a mere 44 years old. Loads of those on ebay too, mostly with replacement engines. The stripes are brilliant since I am such a fat git, there must be about a tonne over the two rollers.
        Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 6 April 2011, 21:10.

Comment

I have a gardener who does all that stuff.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Mowing the lawn is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to make sure that the moving parts are adequately greased, and will not overheat and burn out.

Then you've got to make sure that the cord is fully extended and plugged in; or that the machine contains sufficient fuel to last the duration of the task in hand.

Then you have to take firm hold with both hands, and repeatedly push, first in one direction, then in the other, until after six or seven changes of direction the job is complete.

Finally, the by-products will have collected in the attached receptacle, which you can empty and rinse out, and store in the shed in preparation for the next time.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

Mowing the lawn is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to make sure that the moving parts are adequately greased, and will not overheat and burn out.

Then you've got to make sure that the cord is fully extended and plugged in; or that the machine contains sufficient fuel to last the duration of the task in hand.

Then you have to take firm hold with both hands, and repeatedly push, first in one direction, then in the other, until after six or seven changes of direction the job is complete.

Finally, the by-products will have collected in the attached receptacle, which you can empty and rinse out, and store in the shed in preparation for the next time.
              That might be the case with you sunshine. What does she end up doing?

Comment

It's the roller that gives the stripes - the cylinder is just what does the cutting.

I'd avoid a cylinder mower if you have chance of lots of stones (say from a driveway) as you will be forever getting the bent cylinder and bottom blade fixed.

That said, the Qualcast/Atco with swappable cassette mechanism is pretty decent.

Agree with peoplesoft bloke - these machines with a sulky seat were brilliant. Not sure I would buy an ancient one. I think you can still get new ones but very expensive.

I say this with many years experience in the family business fixing the things.
                Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                  It's the roller that gives the stripes - the cylinder is just what does the cutting.

I'd avoid a cylinder mower if you have chance of lots of stones (say from a driveway) as you will be forever getting the bent cylinder and bottom blade fixed.

That said, the Qualcast/Atco with swappable cassette mechanism is pretty decent.

Agree with peoplesoft bloke - these machines with a sulky seat were brilliant. Not sure I would buy an ancient one. I think you can still get new ones but very expensive.

I say this with many years experience in the family business fixing the things.
                  Yes I could get a rotary with a roller that would do the trick but I like the idea of one of those cylinder mowers with interchangeable cylinder attachments as I mentioned in my OP.

What are your views on edging with respect to cylinder vs rotary?

I find mowing edges much easier with a cylinder as for the most part there is a step down to soil level since most of my edges interface with flower borders. With a rotary, the wheels can run off the edge and you end up shaving off the sward completely in places.

Personally I strim my edges before mowing.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                    Yes I could get a rotary with a roller that would do the trick but I like the idea of one of those cylinder mowers with interchangeable cylinder attachments as I mentioned in my OP.

What are your views on edging with respect to cylinder vs rotary?

I find mowing edges much easier with a cylinder as for the most part there is a step down to soil level since most of my edges interface with flower borders. With a rotary, the wheels can run off the edge and you end up shaving off the sward completely in places.

Personally I strim my edges before mowing.
                    Is "Gricerboy" your alter-ego?

Comment

Working...
                    X