• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good as gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good as gold

Gold price hits record high on inflation fears - Telegraph

toot toot, as you say.

On Thursday, the European Central Bank is expected to raise interest rates, making the euro more attractive to foreign investors and raising the prospect of further weakening of the dollar.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I wonder what a UK house prices versus (Mars Bars or Big Macs) would look like ?

Comment

Gold has had its day.

The price might nudge higher in the short term, depending upon what happens in the Middle East, longer term, the price will fall.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I wonder what a UK house prices versus (Mars Bars or Big Macs) would look like ?
          chocolate bars getting smaller and smaller...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            chocolate bars getting smaller and smaller...
            I know. And as for vegetables, I hope it's a seasonal thing as it seems like it was only a few months ago when a bag of veg cost £1, now it's £2. And I think there are putting more water in the bags measured in weight. I seem to get less veg that in the £1 bags of yesteryear anyway.

Comment

At the end of 2009, it was estimated that all the gold ever mined totaled 165,000 tonnes[1] This can be represented by a cube with an edge length of about 20.28 meters. The value of this is very limited; at $1,200 per ounce, 165,000 tons of gold would have a value of only $6.6 trillion.
              Gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              $6.6 trillion = $6.6 * 10^12. So how many houses would all the gold in the world buy in the UK? Say an average house costs a rather modest $100,000. $6.6 * 10^12 / $100,000 = 66 * 10^6, which is about the official size of the UK population (and about half the actual figure but I digress). So enough to buy everyone in the UK a house. Except of course we'd run out of room if everyone in the UK had a house and prices would rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I know. And as for vegetables, I hope it's a seasonal thing as it seems like it was only a few months ago when a bag of veg cost £1, now it's £2. And I think there are putting more water in the bags measured in weight. I seem to get less veg that in the £1 bags of yesteryear anyway.
                Buy them from the local market then, it's cheaper than supermarkets and you're supporting small businesses...a double win
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  Buy them from the local market then, it's cheaper than supermarkets and you're supporting small businesses...a double win
                  I didn't know that. I should probably buy a lettuce instead of the bags anyway.

Cheapest bang for buck in energy terms seems to be flour followed by rice and oats. And further down the leader board pasta and lentils. Not including sugar and olive oil that are almost pure calories and not really meals.

Comment

Working...
                  X