• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Game patch is 750 meg !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game patch is 750 meg !!

EvE online just put a new game patch out of 750 meg !! I dont get it.. is their code so crap ? 750 meg !! thats stupid for a patch !

a 'patch' for Infinity Blade came at around that size too, well 550MB to be precise and that's for mobile devices, go figure.
    It's shifting the burden - you have less worries, support calls as a developer if you overwrite everything, just in case.
    The customer pays, of course, by downloading the same bytes over and over again.

Comment

WHS - They don't give a tulip how long it takes you to download all the dross / permutations / combinations / backups they forgot to delete / old and forgotten files etc. as long as thier life is simple.

If they just dump everything it also saves them having to actually work out what might be needed - lets face it they would rather be coding something else than even starting to think of what might be helpful for you.
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

How big is the original game? They don't give figures on their download page, although they do seem to think that I'll give them money while I'm waiting, which isn't going to happen.

It could be that they've added a load of new graphics and sounds - those normally make up the bulk of games. IIRC most of the games I wrote back in the 80s had less than 128K of actual machine code bundled with a couple of hundred K of stuff to make it look and sound nice. I found them just as playable with the silent grey boxes I had interacting whilst waiting for the artist to come up with the goods, but apparently that won't do for the mass market

Comment

The shop in the top left corner is "MF's deluxe slightly worn armour"...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            How big is the original game? They don't give figures on their download page, although they do seem to think that I'll give them money while I'm waiting, which isn't going to happen.
            When I bought the game for the first time in 2003 it came on a CD and was 132 meg. I have wasted many hours of my life playing it ,but also made some great friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
              WHS - They don't give a tulip how long it takes you to download all the dross / permutations / combinations / backups they forgot to delete / old and forgotten files etc. as long as thier life is simple.

If they just dump everything it also saves them having to actually work out what might be needed - lets face it they would rather be coding something else than even starting to think of what might be helpful for you.
              Also, much of it may be "junk DNA", included to hamper hackers who might want to try and reverse engineer the code. That's what I'd do in their position.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I play Warcraft and there have been some stupidly large patches in preperation for expension packs come out!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X