• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ibm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ibm

Hello all, this is my first post
    can anyone give me any feedback on being outsourced by Ibm consulting? My company is likely to outsource to them soon, and I would like to know what IBM consulting are like to work for. Also what are TUPE regulations?

From the tone of your question, I'm assuming you're a permie. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As this is a contractors' board, I could only tell you what IBM are like to work "with" rather than work "for". Unfortunately I can't as they would probably sue me for libel if I did.

As for TUPE regulations, you can find a wealth of information about them on this website: Everything You Need To Know About TUPE Regulations

Comment

Thanks Luce, I am a permie.

Comment

My current client has outsourced a part of their support operation to IBM. On that basis, can I suggest you try and talk your company out of their decision.
        Last edited by Mordac; 13 March 2006, 09:00.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

My ex-ex-employer had IBM salesmen win company on switching to DB2/WebSphere from Sybase/Perl - DB2 was "free", the only catch was that if we do anything to it ourselves then warranty will be invalidated and no suport provided, so some small patches our sysadmin could have done actually resulted in having to wait for IBM's consultant who would do the same job but charge daily rate of something well over £1k.

IBM has got very good salespeople - probably best after Microsoft and Oracle, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            From the tone of your question, I'm assuming you're a permie. Please correct me if I'm wrong. As this is a contractors' board, I could only tell you what IBM are like to work "with" rather than work "for". Unfortunately I can't as they would probably sue me for libel if I did.

As for TUPE regulations, you can find a wealth of information about them on this website: Everything You Need To Know About TUPE Regulations
            You can send a private message, can't you? I am actually quite interested myself. How about contracting "for" i b m business consulting? I am sure they also use contractors too, don't they?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I've contracted for IBM on several occasions, I mainly do design work at Hursley on MQ that kind of thing, and it is quite a nice environment. When I've contracted for IBM professional services though things are really quite different, the project managers seem to be chosen for their sociopathic tendencies, and nowadays I just avoid.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                I've contracted for IBM on several occasions, I mainly do design work at Hursley on MQ that kind of thing, and it is quite a nice environment. When I've contracted for IBM professional services though things are really quite different, the project managers seem to be chosen for their sociopathic tendencies, and nowadays I just avoid.
                Threaded, "Kings Head" or "The Dolphin"?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  the project managers seem to be chosen for their sociopathic tendencies
                  Is this why they have chosen LB?
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I know somebody who works for IMB Consulting, albeit in the Netherlands. He didn't have any complaints, and said they were a nice bunch. They paid for a very expensive training course, put him up in a massive luxury apartment while everybody else was in hotels, and gave him an expense account big enough for several of us to eat off. But it might be different in less liberal countries!

Comment

Working...
                    X