• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are airport duty free electronic stores worth visiting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are airport duty free electronic stores worth visiting?

I'm toying with the idea to get a tablet for email/web access while away for a couple of weeks... I don't need a full PC but do need to keep in touch and use web-based apps like Jira and forums as well as gmail and (ideally) Skype.

I figured a tablet might be a better option since it's small & light, but was wondering if it's worth just looking at the airport to get one cheap - or is that a myth and buying online is still cheaper?

ps: I don't care if you think tablets are dumb. That's just the backstory
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I assume you are flying outside the EU?

Comment

I fly through Heathrow weekly to various eurozone countries. They all markup. Dixons tax free will promise to beat a highstore price, but I think you'll still get it cheaper on amazon, etc.

I'm off to the US next week though, I think they'll be cheaper there. Still don't know whether or not to get an ipad 2. I still use my first gen daily with no issues.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Yeah sorry, Dubai.

Comment

Depends what you are getting.

The cheapest prices are the same as online prices i.e. cameras. Lots are more expensive. For example a Kindle was more expensive at the airport than getting it online by £4.

Plus you don't have the full range of items.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            WHS

UK Duty Free is a waste of time IMHO.

If you're flying outside the EU then it's probably cheaper at your destination.

Why not google for local places online before you get there to check.

Comment

If you are not careful you'll end up paying just as much as high street prices. I paid full whack for a Sony short wave radio in Heathrow (on the other hand I couldn't find that model anywhere else except Tottenham Court Road, which would have meant a costly detour). The shop pocketed the VAT I shouldn't have had to pay on top of its normal profit.

The time I bought a Psion out of Manchester Airport wasn't good either. Yep, I made a goodly saving, but when it broke within weeks I needed to fly back there to physically take it back to the shop. It didn't have a European wide warranty. Nah - it wasn't worth the cost of lost working hours plus return flight to get fixed. For all I know that might have been two return flights - one to drop it off, the next one to pick it up.

The moral is:
              • Check the prices carefully
              • Check the warranty

I came to the conclusion that with careful shopping you can get the savings anyway.

P.S. I thought you were trying to cut back on expenditure.
              Last edited by Sysman; 7 April 2011, 09:36.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                If you're flying outside the EU then it's probably cheaper at your destination.

Why not google for local places online before you get there to check.
                I find searching for local stores in foreign countries a bit tricky, they tend to written in foreign... plus I don't really know how to search for online stores in a given country (apart from USA which is easy).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I find searching for local stores in foreign countries a bit tricky, they tend to written in foreign... plus I don't really know how to search for online stores in a given country (apart from USA which is easy).
                  I'm pretty sure it's called an iPad in most languages.

Plus since it's Dubai, language shouldn't be an issue for websites.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I use google but then I only tend to look within the EU due to problems with warranties. Plus you will find that is plenty of price fixing so even being able to read and translate various foreign languages doesn't help.

And as sysman said if you are looking to cut down on expenditure buying new gadgets is not the way to go. (If you have to buy it ebay off your old junk first.)
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X