• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of fun for programmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of fun for programmers

CEO Friday: Why we don’t hire .NET programmers « Expensify Blog

To me, as someone who's worked a fair bit with C++, Java, .NET, he's talking the biggest load of crap. I wondered if the other techies here agree or disagree with him... for instance IIRC M12 is a startup built around .NET.

Maybe he's just one of those company owners who spends all their time scanning resumes for people who happen to agree with them.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

.NET is not a "language".

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      .NET is not a "language".
      Who cares. He even commented on that faux pas himself.

Comment

That's just an article that's too big for its boots. It's taking an odd, reverse-Kantian position: because my actions are in such a way, universal human activity should be in that way (which he then also retracts). All he's saying is that .NET doesn't do what he needs. That's fine. I have an equally dogmatic set of reasons why I use a bicycle instead of a moped, but I wouldn't tell the internet about them as if it was interested.

Comment

Considering the number of specs I get with C# in the mix, I don't really care for this blokes opinion. There are the roles out there, the fact that I am no longer a 6510 assembly expert is not relevant.

I understand that he wants people to be able to build, and perhaps C#/VB.NET are not everyone requirement, but just use the tool for the job.

Take banking for example, sure you have the quant libraries which need to be fast and efficient, but most of the rest is ADO and a GUI, be that some thing built from scratch or integrated into Excel or similar.

Horses for courses, .NET has its place.

P.S. I don't currently code C#or VB.NET, but am looking to, as the contracts are out there.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            All he's saying is that .NET doesn't do what he needs
            What does he need? He doesn't mention Java as being equally bad so it doesn't seem to be a performance thing, rather than it's too inflexible because the tools are so good. I've certainly not seen this problem using .NET.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Who cares. He even commented on that faux pas himself.
              Sorry I should have added that I disagree with him. However he does the hiring and firing.

Comment

To the extent that he's saying a good programmer is a good programmer, and that a good programmer with no experience in X is still better than a mediocre programmer who can tick the boxes, regurgitate books and technical articles, do training courses etc. in X, then I agree.

And trendy new technologies do tend to attact the latter kind.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  And trendy new technologies do tend to attact the latter kind.
                  A ten year old .Net technology isn't a trendy new technology
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

maybe we should do a friday Dev thread about CEO's we would touch with a barge pole because of their outdated mind and skillset

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X