• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A new particle, maybe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new particle, maybe?

symmetry breaking » Blog Archive » Fermilab’s data peak that causes excitement

Oooooh.

It's not the higgs, and it's not supersymmetry. So what is it?

Apparently they have enough data to "confirm" it and the LHC should confirm it soonish, if it's really there.
    Last edited by doodab; 7 April 2011, 19:10.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Has anyone asked Gordon Freeman ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Oooooh.

Apparently they have enough data to "confirm" it and the LHC should confirm it soonish, if it's really there.
      That really is quite exciting
      Me, me, me...

Comment

WHS

Feynman described accelerator physics as ‘bashing clocks together at nearly the speed of light, and from the broken parts that fall out, trying to understand what a clock is and how it works.’
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So what is it?
          My money's on it being a member of the Andromeda Strain

Welcome to earth. Ignore us, we're just dumb monkeys bashing rocks together.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I love 'unexplained' physics stories. The last proper good one was dark energy, over 10 years ago.

How lucky this find should come just when the lab is about to get canned; perhaps it may get them a reprieve.

Do you think they are contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by Clever Hans View Post
              I love 'unexplained' physics stories. The last proper good one was dark energy, over 10 years ago.

How lucky this find should come just when the lab is about to get canned; perhaps it may get them a reprieve.

Do you think they are contractors?
              I noticed that too, but it is being examined at other locations, by sifting through existing data. Not sure how often these 3 sigma events occur. 1 in 1000 could mean every nanosecond or every decade. A 5 sigma event is when they start getting over 1 in million confident, although they seem pretty excited already.

Comment

It's one of my missing socks. We only see 4% of the known universe, and 96% is said to be 'dark matter'. Dark matter is actually an accumulation of lost sock material, stolen from men's houses by the sock monster, and dropped in a black hole, which ejects the crushed sock material and spreads it around the close to the speed of light in the form of tiny, imperceptible particles known as footons, which are different and quite distinct from futons, which have nothing to do with particle physics.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oooooh.

Some people are joking that this new particle, if it exists, should be called the "fundon".

Unfortunately Fermilab is about to shut down, on the grounds (disputed by some) that everything it could find will be found more easily at LHC.

So to try and keep things going, they've been publishing these graphs every now and then with slight humps they say indicate new particles. But the anomalies are probably just faint resonances or even measurement error.

Mind you, the Fermilab guys did recently find what looks like clear evidence of asymmetry of the top-quark pair production, which could be just as interesting as a new particle to add to the zoo, if not more so.
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 April 2011, 09:15.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

So ATLAS's bump may not be due to Higgs particles, after all, but instead down to something mundane, such as an error in the analysis

Elusive Higgs slips from sight again - physics-math - 04 May 2011 - New Scientist
                    Maybe just another 'fundon' then.

Comment

Working...
                    X