• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep Your Kids Away From Consoles......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Your Kids Away From Consoles......

Or not.

Computer gamers less likely to go to university, research shows | Technology | The Guardian

Frequently playing computer games appears to reduce a teenager's chances of going to university, while reading enhances the likelihood that they will go on to study for a degree, according to Oxford University research that tracked 17,000 people born in 1970.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Yay I am the execption to the norm
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Frequently playing computer games appears to reduce a teenager's chances of going to university, while reading enhances the likelihood that they will go on to study for a degree, according to Oxford University research that tracked 17,000 people born in 1970
      what computer games were people born in 1970 playing in their teenage years?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Born in 72 and spent a great deal of my early life playing jet set willy, ant attack, zombie zombie and commando.

Comment

If we forced kids to enter chain "" when they dropped in the DVD they might have a greater understanding of how computers work.

Comment

Comment

BBC - Electric Dreams - Home Page

Quite an interesting program.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Born in 72 and spent a great deal of my early life playing jet set willy, ant attack, zombie zombie and commando.
                I remember those but apart from Dizzy I can't remember any game being good enough to keep me glued to the computer for hours on end.
                Although we did have an Amstrad CPC
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Amstrad CPC -- luxury etc etc

I had an Acorn Electron - and mainly played Chuckie Egg and Elite.

I went to Uni.

It is an interesting comparison between those who played games and those who read books (I managed to do both) however can we get a compariosn between those who just sat and watched TV all night and those who played games to see which group has a hugher %age of entries into Uni??

Comment

Good lord.

He said: "It's no surprise that kids who went to the theatre when young get better jobs. That's because their parents were rich. When you take these things into account, the effect that persists is for reading."
                    but the effect that they put in the headline is for computer games. Cos, we're the trendy Guardian? and nobody wants to, like, read about reading?

so:
                    A study finds that people who like reading at age 16 are more likely to spend ages 18-21 in a place dedicated to reading. How surprised are we supposed to be?

Comment

Working...
                    X