• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ministers set to review MOT tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ministers set to review MOT tests

A consultation will look at whether the first MOT test could be pushed back from three to four years, and the second test after another two years.

The changes will be discussed with motoring groups, road safety organisations and the MOT trade.
    ffs.

The Press Association: Ministers set to review MOT tests

It would have been logical to make it model related - this would encourage better makes of cars as well.

Comment

Is this a "review" like the IR35 "review"?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        It had better be otherwise there will be a lot of garages looking for work.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          What makes you so unhappy about IR35 "review"? They just kept non-working piece of legislation in place, you should be grateful for it because once they actually act they'll have something in place that will make you wish IR35 was back.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            What makes you so unhappy about IR35 "review"? They just kept non-working piece of legislation in place, you should be grateful for it because once they actually act they'll have something in place that will make you wish IR35 was back.
            Correct.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The test is utter crap. Too much pointless stuff. I once got failed because the indicator light for the emergency flashy thing wasn't working.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                The test is utter crap. Too much pointless stuff. I once got failed because the indicator light for the emergency flashy thing wasn't working.
                I seem to remember someone mentioning getting failed on the basis they hadn't enough windscreen washer fluid in the requisite repository.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  I seem to remember someone mentioning getting failed on the basis they hadn't enough windscreen washer fluid in the requisite repository.
                  Civil service mentality - boxes to tick.

But they have never been consistent. In my old banger phase I used to ask down the pub which was the "best" place to take my motors for an MoT. I could have sworn that at one place they didn't even move the car off the car park, but I was skint therefore happy with a pass.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

They should get the insurer to arrange the MOT so they can better protect the risk, and let the insurer issue the tax disc. Everyone can see which car is then insured, taxed, and Mot'ed as they are all one package. You can also get rid of the civil servants in DVLC who just issues discs.

Comment

Working...
                    X