• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problems with a bird - moral dilemma, help needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with a bird - moral dilemma, help needed!

I have an open-sided shed in my garden in which I keep my rotary clothes line folded away for winter. This morning as I approached, a blackbird flew out the shed and upon further inspection, I see it's built a nest perched atop the clothes line.

My dilemma is shall I leave the nest alone while mummy bird raises her family, which will no doubt make a mess in the shed, or shall I remove it now, so mummy has chance to rebuild elsewhere plus I could then get the clothes line out of hibernation?

I've currently set my camera up to try to take a picture of mum in the nest, but the wire on the camera remote is so short it's difficult to set up. Failing that, I'll post a picture of just the nest later.

What would you do? What would Jesus do?

Are there eggs in the nest?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Setup webcam of nesting bird.

Put images and live video feed on a website www.payuporthebirdgetsit.com

With a PayPal giving link.

Either the world pays up or the bird gets it.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Are there eggs in the nest?
        I can't see. The nest is approx 7 feet above the floor. But I suspect not - she's still bringing nest building stuff to the shed. I just looked outside and she's having some malarkey with a male nearby, so eggs may be on the way shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I have an open-sided shed in my garden in which I keep my rotary clothes line folded away for winter. This morning as I approached, a blackbird flew out the shed and upon further inspection, I see it's built a nest perched atop the clothes line.

My dilemma is shall I leave the nest alone while mummy bird raises her family, which will no doubt make a mess in the shed, or shall I remove it now, so mummy has chance to rebuild elsewhere plus I could then get the clothes line out of hibernation?

I've currently set my camera up to try to take a picture of mum in the nest, but the wire on the camera remote is so short it's difficult to set up. Failing that, I'll post a picture of just the nest later.

What would you do? What would Jesus do?
          If there are eggs in the nest leave it be, get the webcam sorted and enjoy watching as the chicks are hatched and raised.

If there are no eggs yet then move it if you must.

Obligatory "Your a contractor" comment.

Get your butler to do it by tying the clothes to his arms and spinning around in circles in the garden untll they are dry.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

DIY clothes lines are easy to erect. For example a Syberian hitch at one end of a line and a taut line hitch at the other. The result is an adjustable line that can be erected and taken down in seconds. A good solution unless Blackbirds make good eating.

Comment

I'd set Norpuss on it. Then bake them in a pie with Crusty pastry, served with new potatoes and summer veg, topped off with a fine red from my extensive wine collection.

Norrahe.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                5 and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie are fit for a king.

Or so I understand.
                And the beaks make excellent toothpicks.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Or so I understand.
                  Kuatb. Cough. ^^^^^^
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Or so I understand.
                    Oi Shirley! 4 and 20!

Comment

Working...
                    X