• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Extension Offered But No Work !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Extension Offered But No Work !

Been offered an extension to my initial 3 months although with my projects being in a state of limbo at the moment, I have got very little to do other than various bits and pieces.

Have mentioned this to my boss who says that he doesn't want to give me anything too big, as my projects will ramp up in the next month or so...So obviously will take the extension and see if it picks up and in the meantime look to be busy at least. Not a bad position to be in I suppose and do appreciate the extension offer.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Been offered an extension to my initial 3 months although with my projects being in a state of limbo at the moment, I have got very little to do other than various bits and pieces.

Have mentioned this to my boss who says that he doesn't want to give me anything too big, as my projects will ramp up in the next month or so...So obviously will take the extension and see if it picks up and in the meantime look to be busy at least. Not a bad position to be in I suppose and do appreciate the extension offer.
    why not ask if you can work from home for the majority of the quiet time (should save project expenses on travel) so you can do other more useful things
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Stay schtum. Invoice.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Stay schtum. Invoice.
        +1. I have found this to be the case on all of my contracts to be honest. I have very finely honed the art of looking busy whilst actually doing very little! Enjoy it while it lasts.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Stay schtum. Invoice.
          Second that.

Been there before, but you should be using the time to learn what you can, copy anything useful looking over, and, if needed, self study for a BCS / Prince 2 / ISEB / ITIL / Whatever to keep your days productive, and skilled up in works time.

Keeping schtum and head down is exactly what permies like me managing contractors want. If anyone comes to me whinging, I am not as likely to support any extension, I need support and a quiet life.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
            why not ask if you can work from home for the majority of the quiet time (should save project expenses on travel) so you can do other more useful things
            Yes, I am doing 2 days a week from home as it is. I am also adoptiong the head down approach by making sure I am busy more when in the office than when at home so it doesn't become too obvious.

I guess I am feeling guilty that I am being paid a shedload for doing very little / nothing at times.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X