• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dobwalls and District Model Railway Exhibition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dobwalls and District Model Railway Exhibition

Having forfeited my Saturday night's viewing of the Masters so that Malc could watch back to back episodes of Glee, I persuaded him to accompany me to the Dobwalls and District Model Railway Exhibition on Sunday afternoon.

Among the many enthusiasts present in the village hall were local TV news presenter, Bruce Hockin, and former premiership footballer, Tony Cottee, who were both there exhibiting their layouts.
    Tony has a z gauge layout which, as any modellers among you will know, is the smallest gauge and he keeps it self contained in a small attache case. He regailed the assembled throng with tales of how he used to bring it along for entertainment on the team coach before and after games.

Indeed, it became a bit of a hit with his team mates and they were all actively involved in modelling aspects of the layout by carving buildings and scenery out of bits of balsa wood.

Tony chuckled as he related how they must have appeared to passing vehicles as the bus bowled down the M1; all of them whittling away furiously with their with their right arms going like fiddlers elbows.

Team mate Julian Dicks in particular was a very adept whittler and produced a delightful scale model of a pub replete with a car park scuffle.

A thoroughly absorbing couple of hours all in all & Inspired by the experience I'm thinking of organising an exhibition in the local scout hut, so long as Brown owl approves of my layout when I show it to her later tonight.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Having forfeited my Saturday night's viewing of the Masters so that Malc could watch back to back episodes of Glee, I persuaded him to accompany me to the Dobwalls and District Model Railway Exhibition on Sunday afternoon.
    Could you not have used one of your Crown Court videos to save Malc's Glee for later.
    Last edited by minestrone; 12 April 2011, 14:33.

Comment

That sounded fun.

Incidentally, did you know that when he retired from football, Julian attempted to become a professional golfer? He was very good, but in a sport where an inch can make the difference between getting into the hole and "lipping out", he didn't quite make it. The tight holes separate the men from the boys at that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        That sounded fun.

Incidentally, did you know that when he retired from football, Julian attempted to become a professional golfer? He was very good, but in a sport where an inch can make the difference between getting into the hole and "lipping out", he didn't quite make it. The tight holes separate the men from the boys at that game.
        With his handicraft skills and his West Country connections, perhaps he'd make a good replacement for Jack Hargreaves in an updated version of Out Of Town?

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          With his handicraft skills and his West Country connections, perhaps he'd make a good replacement for Jack Hargreaves in an updated version of Out Of Town?
          Blimey, Jack Hargreaves, that brings back memories.....

Comment

Dull sockie.

Can't believe it's not banned yet.

I guess this means it belongs to someone in the high Echelons of CUK Ruling Elite...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Dull sockie.

I guess this means it belongs to someone in the high Echelons of CUK Ruling Elite...
              Disagree.

You know what 'he' posts is bollox. The idea is to point it out so that 'he' ups his game until they become credible again.

Comment

Dull sockie.

Are you sure AtW old chap? Gricerboy's posts are as interesting as most on here. And I'd venture they are a darn sight more interesting than many, such as tales of "my lunch".

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Are you sure AtW old chap? Gricerboy's posts are as interesting as most on here. And I'd venture they are a darn sight more interesting than many, such as tales of "my lunch".
                  or SKA News!

Comment

Dull sockie.

Hardly. I got an infraction for daring to venture a similar opinion about kandr.

If anything, this suggests that YOU are a reptilian member of the cuk illuminati, not I.

Incidentally,<lookingAtCojak>I think I should be exonerated over that incident since subsequent events demonstrate that I was playing Churchill to your Chamberlain.</lookingAtCojak>

Comment

Working...
                    X