• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll - How confident do you feel about contracting/work in the next 12 months?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll - How confident do you feel about contracting/work in the next 12 months?

As the austerity measures kick in and new unemployment figures are out today the news is reporting on how difficult it is to get a job. As we as contractors fit a slightly different demographic how do we feel about the next 12 months and does it match the views of the general public?

Poll to follow(perms welcome)
    Super Confident - I am completely unaffected
    13.95%
    Confident - I have work and if/when it runs out I'll pick up another no probs
    37.21%
    Middling - I think it's going to be tough, but should muddle through
    30.23%
    Not confident - I think I'm going to struggle - it's going to be bad
    4.65%
    Bricking it - It's going to be super bad, don't know how I'll cope
    4.65%
    I'm going to give it all up and move into AndyW's mum with AtW''s sofa
    9.30%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Current gig due to finish ~end of June. Could be my first ever bench time, I fear.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I will be able to get work, but it might not be at rates I am happy with.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm confident, but that's partly because I have other marketable skills than this IT lark.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I'm confident, but that's partly because I have other marketable skills than this IT lark.
          What be they?

Comment

I've got too much work. Just started on an 8 month project for clientco but contract runs out at end of June. So expecting an extension on that with some luck.

My other concurrent contract is doing my head in so I'm trying to off load that.

But as you never really know, I'm only confident, not super confident.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I got through the economic crisis and the last few years with no bench time. I see the Market picking up if anything now.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                What be they?
                Certified personal fitness trainer plus qualified in technical translation. Neither of which will earn me as much as testing, but I can at least earn a living working for myself, which, for me, is always preferable to permiedoom.

Comment

I voted middling.

My current contract is up at the end of July. On current form I should get renewed but probably for the last time. I've been working solidly for 6 years now and could do with a couple of months off to enjoy the fruits of my labour. We move into our new house next week so spending August off if I wasn't renewed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If I finish up next February, I'll go skiing for a bit, then go somewhere warm, then possibly think about a new contract after that.

I can always get work, but the rate varies.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The market for personal trainers is growing quite strongly in NL, partly because there are plenty of fat rich people, but partly because some top sportspeople are hiring personal trainers with their olympic grants; I've been giving some training to one of the Dutch national ladies rugby sevens squad who's got a grant from the national olympic committee to prepare for 2016 olympics. Obviously, you need contacts to get that sort of work.

It's one of those jobs that looks very easy, but isn't; the best qualifications require quite a lot of learning (anatomy, physiology, training theory, advanced first aid, biomechanics, business skills etc etc) and both written and practical exams are pretty tough. You can get work without qualifying, but the right qualifications get you into professional networks which help you in getting customers and positioning yourself at the top end of the market where you can bill between 55 and 75 euros per hour, and occasionally much more if you break into the celebrity market.

At the lower end of the market, poncing around in a franchise gym wearing a pink shirt that says 'personal trainer' and listening to Wilmslow whingeing about his latest injury, you'll never make much more than 20 euros per hour, and if you're on the payroll of the gym it's basically a McJob paying minimum wage + about 20%.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 April 2011, 08:54.

Comment

Working...
                    X