• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling training

Date Distance Av Speed Max speed Duration (mins)
    19/03/2011, 11, 8.1, 23.76, 81
    20/03/2011, 8.63, 8.56, 26.89, 57
    26/03/2011, 15, 9.79, 25.32, 92
    7/4/2011 , 3.9, 10.11, 27.5, 23.5
    10/4/2011, 15.5, 11.73, 25.55, 79
    12/4/2011, 3.9, 11.08, 33.39, 21.25

The 3.9 mile rides are during the week and basically round the block to Asda, but every corner is a hill or nasty incline. I was delighted to get an average speed of 11.08mph with rush hour traffic and head winds. The max speed is recorded as there is typically one downhill stretch and it's how much bottle I have to push myself faster and faster.

On training days I eat complex carbs such as wholemeal pasta, and on rest days I eat protein.

Really quite getting into it now, I hope after the London to Brighton I stay in the groove.

It's progress at least. Anyone got any tips on the training with regards to eating, or the training I have done so far? 10 weeks to the big day.

And yes it's a me me me post, but I just got sick of the banal posts and willy waving so fancied a change of topic.

Flame away guys.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

1/10 for presentation. More effort required.

Code:
    Date           Distance  Av Speed   Max speed    Duration (mins)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    19/03/2011     11         8.1       23.76        81
    20/03/2011      8.63      8.56      26.89        57
    26/03/2011     15         9.79      25.32        92
    07/04/2011      3.9      10.11      27.5         23.5
    10/04/2011     15.5      11.73      25.55        79
    12/04/2011      3.9      11.08      33.39        21.25

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      1/10 for presentation. More effort required.

Code:
      Date           Distance  Av Speed   Max speed    Duration (mins)
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      19/03/2011     11         8.1       23.76        81
      20/03/2011      8.63      8.56      26.89        57
      26/03/2011     15         9.79      25.32        92
      07/04/2011      3.9      10.11      27.5         23.5
      10/04/2011     15.5      11.73      25.55        79
      12/04/2011      3.9      11.08      33.39        21.25
      Noted. Thanks for the feedback. I can feel an extra mph coming on just because of this.

Comment

You are seriously going to struggle with London to Brighton at that rate. You need to get some longer rides in.

I would suggest organising in your ten weeks as 3 x 3 weeks with a week of winding down in preparation for the actual event.

During each three week cycle you want to increase the total time on the bike week on week, then reduce your effort on the first week of the next cycle week to somewhere between what you did in weeks one and two of the last one to give yourself a recovery.

In a particular week you need to be doing a 2-3 1-1.5hr rides at a good pace and a long (2-3hrs or more) ride at a gentler pace followed by a recovery day. You need to get some hills in as well or the south downs will chew you up and spit you out. The 3-4 mile rides on the days off are a good idea, but do them at a gentle pace so you don't elevate your heart rate to much. A pulsemeter would help. You can also look at swimming, a gentle jog etc.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Date Distance Av Speed Max speed Duration (mins)
          19/03/2011, 11, 8.1, 23.76, 81
          20/03/2011, 8.63, 8.56, 26.89, 57
          26/03/2011, 15, 9.79, 25.32, 92
          7/4/2011 , 3.9, 10.11, 27.5, 23.5
          10/4/2011, 15.5, 11.73, 25.55, 79
          12/4/2011, 3.9, 11.08, 33.39, 21.25

The 3.9 mile rides are during the week and basically round the block to Asda, but every corner is a hill or nasty incline. I was delighted to get an average speed of 11.08mph with rush hour traffic and head winds. The max speed is recorded as there is typically one downhill stretch and it's how much bottle I have to push myself faster and faster.

On training days I eat complex carbs such as wholemeal pasta, and on rest days I eat protein.

Really quite getting into it now, I hope after the London to Brighton I stay in the groove.

It's progress at least. Anyone got any tips on the training with regards to eating, or the training I have done so far? 10 weeks to the big day.

And yes it's a me me me post, but I just got sick of the banal posts and willy waving so fancied a change of topic.

Flame away guys.
          You need to start upping your distances. London to Brighton is around 60 miles IIRC. You need to be comfortable doing at least 40 before the day.

I'd do two rides on the weekends. Start with 20 miles on Saturday and 25 on Sunday then add 5 miles every two weeks. So week one and two is 20/25, week 3/4 is 25/30, week 5/6 30/35 week 7/8 35/40. Take it easy for the last weekend and do 20 each day.

If you have the time in the week do 2 shorter rides, 30 mins each but at a higher tempo. Even better get yourself a Turbo Trainer and do some proper intervals.

For the distances you're doing diet wont have much effect ( as long as you arn't eating fryups every day) but make sure you drink plenty of water when you are riding. Aim for around 500ml an hour.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You are seriously going to struggle with London to Brighton at that rate. You need to get some longer rides in.

I would suggest organising in your ten weeks as 3 x 3 weeks with a week of winding down in preparation for the actual event.

During each three week cycle you want to increase the total time on the bike week on week, then reduce your effort on the first week of the next cycle week to somewhere between what you did in weeks one and two of the last one to give yourself a recovery.

In a particular week you need to be doing a 2-3 1-1.5hr rides at a good pace and a long (2-3hrs or more) ride at a gentler pace followed by a recovery day. You need to get some hills in as well or the south downs will chew you up and spit you out. The 3-4 mile rides on the days off are a good idea, but do them at a gentle pace so you don't elevate your heart rate to much. A pulsemeter would help. You can also look at swimming, a gentle jog etc.
            Thanks. The two 15 milers were 1-1.5 hours. And this weekend we want to push this out to 20 and 25 by the end of April. In May we should be pushing the 30 mile barrier. I can but try.

Comment

Losing a bit of weight would help for the hill climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Losing a bit of weight would help for the hill climbing.
                I'm on that one. 3lbs so far this week.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  You need to start upping your distances. London to Brighton is around 60 miles IIRC. You need to be comfortable doing at least 40 before the day.

I'd do two rides on the weekends. Start with 20 miles on Saturday and 25 on Sunday then add 5 miles every two weeks. So week one and two is 20/25, week 3/4 is 25/30, week 5/6 30/35 week 7/8 35/40. Take it easy for the last weekend and do 20 each day.

If you have the time in the week do 2 shorter rides, 30 mins each but at a higher tempo. Even better get yourself a Turbo Trainer and do some proper intervals.

For the distances you're doing diet wont have much effect ( as long as you arn't eating fryups every day) but make sure you drink plenty of water when you are riding. Aim for around 500ml an hour.
                  whs ++, especially on the food bit; just stop eating deep fried food altogether is my advice, and other than that eat a lot, with a lot of variety. I stopped eating deep fried food for a few months several years ago, and when I tried it again I didn't like it anymore. Still don't like it.

Plus; if you try tabata intervals on the turbo trainer/exercise bike, you'll find that it improves your VO2 max (maximum oxygen uptake) and your heart rate recovery much quicker than constant pace cycling; you still need to do the long slow mileage, but add in two sessions of tabata intervals per week. Google tabata, but basically it amounts to this;

20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest, 20 seconds flat out, 10 seconds rest and so on; repeat 8 times, then rest a few minutes, then do it again. I'm assuming you're already fairly fit here; usual qualifications apply, if you feel sick, dizzy etc, then slow down a bit or stop and rest. you could also built up from 2 sets of 4 tabatas to 2 sets of 8. It's a short, intensive training session that's suprisingly effective.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Cycling is not like running - you can bump the mileage up in much bigger increments. Just remember you'll need to eat something when getting above 2 hours, such as bananas or whatever is BOGOF from Tesco in terms of cereal bars etc.

L->B has lots of places to stop and recover so overall endurance isn't too big an issue unless you're attempting to go non-stop.

Oh and I wouldn't bother with a turbo / intervals etc unless you're serious about cycling as its mind numbing - time on saddle is what you need, you're not out to win medals.

I did L->B on a mtb with big nobbly tyres when I did it, my cycling was the odd commute and what I thought then as a long ride at the weekend.

You'll find at the back that's its completely mobbed, lots of people walking etc - take your time, enjoy the day and get the beers in when you get to the beach!
                    Last edited by Notascooby; 13 April 2011, 11:03.
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X