• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Rail: Going Nowhere Fast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Rail: Going Nowhere Fast

Today's Google logo supposedly honours Richard Trevithick:

Now, if the red cog goes anticlockwise, that means the yellow one must go clockwise. That means the left wheel will go clockwise, the right wheel will go anticlockwise, and the middle wheel will try to go in both directions at the same time

This is why software engineers aren't allowed to do proper engineering

This is why artists aren't allowed to do proper engineering.

Comment

They've recently received a patent on this whole doogle thing idea.

IANAL, but you may have just infringed it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Now, if the red cog goes anticlockwise, that means the yellow one must go clockwise. That means the left wheel will go clockwise, the right wheel will go anticlockwise, and the middle wheel will try to go in both directions at the same time

Good that it's only a digital image and not a real machine.

Comment

Woosh! Back to childhood. I think it was a Ladybird book which featured what was possibly the first accident by a self-propelled vehicle

Yes - that's a single wheel at the front.

Trevithick's Puffing Devil also got a mention in that book, and also met with a sticky end:

During further tests, Trevithick's locomotive broke down three days later, after passing over a gully in the road. The vehicle was left under some shelter with the fire still burning whilst the operators retired to a nearby public house for a meal of roast goose and drinks. Meanwhile the water boiled off, the engine overheated and the machine burned, destroying it. Trevithick did not consider this a serious setback, but rather operator error.
          Operator error obviously isn't something new.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

And the big connecty thing would hit the gears. On the other plus side, if it could work, the piston rod at the front would be great for punching cows out of the way.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Which reminds me, still have a big box of Lego in the attic. Something to keep me busy when I reach my 2nd childhood.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Are you sure wheels that look to touch aren't in separate planes?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Are you sure wheels that look to touch aren't in separate planes?
                  Which wheels would need to touch to make it work? Unless the yellow wheel is entirely redundant and not connected to either of the lower wheels, it still won't work.

BTW I'm a software engineer and I spotted this straight away.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

This one shouldn't work either.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X