• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hassle free contracting life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hassle free contracting life?

I read quite often on this site about tulip 'issues' people have while contracting like agencies trying to pull fast ones saying they owe them money for leaving a contract early, not getting money for ages and ages, never getting money owed, companies/agents going bust and the consequences etc etc

So far apart form just normal agency tulip I have never had any major issues but after reading other peoples stories I suppose I'm waiting for it to happen one day.

Is there anyone who has been contracting for a long time that has never had any really bad tulip happen? (apart from normal everyday agency games/lies) If you have have you suffered a lot of was it just one or a few things?

I've never had any major issues beyond agency fishing, a few cockups on payment (down to incompetence rather than malice). I have known colleagues who have used agencies that have gone bust and worked at clients that have gone bust, but you can see this coming a mile off if you have any business nouse.

So I think a lot of it is luck and stupidity combination.

For me, contracting has been a completely hassle free, highly profitable and varied "career".

HTH

Comment

If you work for small clients this is likely to happen more often I would think, never happened to me mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Client went tits up while I was working direct.

Only lost £3k, so can't really complain.
        I lost about £6K when that happened to me 3 years ago. It was a small startup, so maybe I should have been more suspicious.

Only problem I've had with agents is one who didn't pay me because they hadn't received their contract back from the client, which they really should have been chasing themselves and not waiting for me to complain. But it all got sorted out within a couple of weeks. It's the dealing with the scum when looking for work that gets you down; in my experience once you're in a contract it's fine.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've only been contracting 3 years, and nothing bad happened yet thankfully.

Back in my permie days, I was offered a job with a very small startup, but at £6k less than I was looking for. They said we'll pay you X - 6k in first month, X - 5K in 2nd etc, and after 6 months you'll be at what you were looking for.

My spidey senses were tingling, so knocked it back. I don't know how quickly they went bust, but when I checked a year later they were gone.

So I've always been very wary, even before I started contracting.

Comment

Contracting for a startup is not a very sensible thing to do. Very high risk but where's the reward above say contracting at a blue chip?

Different if you are getting shed loads of money to offset the risk or stock options or something, but otherwise, they go bust you get zip.

Comment

It's called life. The longer you live it, the more likely tulip will happen.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Contracting for a startup is not a very sensible thing to do. Very high risk but where's the reward above say contracting at a blue chip?.
                In my case it was a very interesting job, and a chance to start something from scratch, which seemed a lot more appealing than being bored out my mind at a blue chip. And the guy doing it assured everybody the funds were secure for 6 months of contractor time (at a pretty decent rate). Joining a startup on a low permie salary with a vague promise of better things to come, and then discovering the company goes bust after 6 months wouldn't be good, but as a contractor I was quite happy to commit to 6 months only.

If the recession hadn't hit, it might have been okay.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  It's called life. The longer you live it, the more likely tulip will happen.
                  Deep man, deep!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not had a problem when I've contracted, apart from fishing trips by agents but they're quickly dismissed when you ignore the bulltulip about needing references up front.

However, working direct, even for blue chips, can have its share of problems: once it took 7 months for a large milestone payment to appear - almost ran out of cash.

Also cancelling projects at the last moment can play havoc with the cash flow too.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X