• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zürich next week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zürich next week

Well just had a conference call about working in Zürich next week and the first thing was they had to change from 'Schwitzerdeutsch' to 'Hochdeutsch' so I could understand them. Sounds like a nice easy project so looking forward to it apart from one thing...the weather forecast said it might snow down that way and I've only just put my summer wheels and tyres on, hopefully not.

I'll be working in Dietlikon (I thought it was Dietikon as I've worked there before) so haven't got a clue what its like, any of our denizens based that way care to give me a heads-up?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Weather forecast is 17 degrees, might snow in the mountains though.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Well just had a conference call about working in Zürich next week and the first thing was they had to change from 'Schwitzerdeutsch' to 'Hochdeutsch' so I could understand them. Sounds like a nice easy project so looking forward to it apart from one thing...the weather forecast said it might snow down that way and I've only just put my summer wheels and tyres on, hopefully not.

I'll be working in Dietlikon (I thought it was Dietikon as I've worked there before) so haven't got a clue what its like, any of our denizens based that way care to give me a heads-up?
      Züritüütsch surely!!

Comment

Well just had a conference call about working in Zürich next week and the first thing was they had to change from 'Schwitzerdeutsch' to 'Hochdeutsch' so I could understand them.
        Depending on how outnumbered you are, they usually revert to Schwiizertüütsch after about 15 minutes.

I did a course presented in Züritüütsch last summer. It was hard work.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Here's the weather forecast for Zürich.

Comment

I am always reminded of my gf's boss, who was Swiss, working here in Yorkshire, complaining about the hourglass in Windows...

"Oh, no - sand-votch again"!!

He would speak nice German with the gf, then rabbit on on the phone with his Swiss mates in unintelligible gibberish!

Comment

Well it looks like it should be okay. I gave a 'Technical Knowledge Exchange' in Zürich last year, which led to this project and 3 follow-up ones, and had to do it in English as some of the people were from Tessin and didn't speak German, some were German Swiss and one was Serbian. Was fine for me and the Serb and I, when we wanted to discuss sensitive things, talked in Hochdeutsch. When the confirmation mails came through they had left all the 'reply-tos' on and one of the questions asked of the end client was would they like either an English or German speaking consultant and they wanted the German speaking one but somehow they ended up with me! I quite like Swiss beer as well along with some cheese...

(Working in Luzerne some years back they all reverted to Schweizerdeutsch and it was difficult to say the least.)

(And I don't need to pay any Swiss tax!)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Well just had a conference call about working in Zürich next week
                Ah, many (more) opportunities to meet strange women in bars and shag them

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Ah, many (more) opportunities to meet strange women in bars and shag them
                  Not at 9 CHF a pint - six quid! That's London prices! No shag is worth that, surely...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Not at 9 CHF a pint - six quid! That's London prices! No shag is worth that, surely...
                    That's expat pub prices.

Comment

Working...
                    X