• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do...

... if an agent won't take no for an answer? I had an interview for a role on the dark side yesterday for a role that I wasn't fully qualified to do. Had to do a presentation (which was badly done, but somehow the client was impressed) and answer some technical questions (which I answered badly).

It appears that I am in with a chance of getting the role, but don't want it. The agent will not take no for an answer. Obviously he will lose out on his lump of commission if I don't take the role.

Any suggestions? (Sarcasm, witty and rude answers welcome).
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    ... if an agent won't take no for an answer? I had an interview for a role on the dark side yesterday for a role that I wasn't fully qualified to do. Had to do a presentation (which was badly done, but somehow the client was impressed) and answer some technical questions (which I answered badly).

It appears that I am in with a chance of getting the role, but don't want it. The agent will not take no for an answer. Obviously he will lose out on his lump of commission if I don't take the role.

Just tell him that on any given friday, you pop into a hat all the contract offers you have received that week, then subsequently pull out the lucky winner and inform them of your choice.
    If he phones you back again, his role won't even get put into this week's hat.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yep; try a sarcastic answer like 'I would enjoy this job as much as toothache'.

Then try a witty answer.

Then tell him he's a worthless prick and he should leave you alone.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Then try a witty answer.

That's just mean.

Just make up a really high day rate. If it's high enough the agent will say no.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          That's just mean.

Read the OP's specifications; he didn't say he wanted sensible answers!
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

file all future contact under ignore, don't respond to emails and divert his calls (if poss) - i'm currently employing a similar technique for a similar reason
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              That's just mean.

If it were a contract role, I would gladly do just that. But sadly, it's for a role on the dark side. I would be tempted to tell the agent that I may only consider the role if they offered £75k or above, but as I already agreed £50k, I don't think that would wash.

I am expecting the company to call me this afternoon, to which I will give the same tulip I gave the agent.

To my amazement, out of the 8 peeps that were shortlisted and interviewed, my interview was the best (agency tulip talk), even though I know it was absolute tulip.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Then try a witty answer.

Your last sentence is a true reflection of the agent.

Believe me, a toothache is more enjoyable than the proposed job. In fact standing in front of a firing squad would be more enjoyable than the role.

Comment

I cannot believe that nobody has come up with the right answer.

Explain, that if you took this job, it would be as a stop-gap - and therefore he would end up having to pay a rebate to the client, as you'd be a timebomb with a maximum of an 8 week fuse.

Agents HATE rebates, as they have to either do all the work again, to gain nothing new - or they have to give money back to their client and employer (if commission has already been paid).

Tell him to think about his client.

DO NOT BURN BRIDGES. You might find that this agent is the one who comes up with the "Silver bullet" Contract.
                  "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                  SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

I had an issue with an agent a while back. I did a 10 minute phone interview, didn't like the client and told the agent so.

I was on another client site. Went for a meeting for an hour.

Six missed calls. Phone went again, I answered it was the agent offering the contract. Need you there day after next blah blah.

I said no and asked for another £100 per day. Ten minutes later. Yes. OK!

I was trying to hold off another contract and told her it would take a couple of days and said 12 on Friday. She phoned me 18 times in two days. I had to turn my phone off.

Eventually I agreed to do it. I hated it. Gave notice six weeks into it. First impressions were right. *******!

Just be firm. 'Not interested' and if necessary put the phone down. I hate pushy *******.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X