• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Diagrammatic Test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagrammatic Test

Got one of these to do next week before an interview. Anybody got some advice on how to prepare for one?

Cheers

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Got one of these to do next week before an interview. Anybody got some advice on how to prepare for one?

Cheers
    WTF is that ? I can only imagine they will tell you to draw diagrams ? Anyway let us know what it was all about after you done with it
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I refuse to do them, or any sort of test, it's contracting, if you fail on the job, you are terminated in two days.

No need for a test.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Cheers
        I don't think it has anything to do with drawing wheelbarrows. I can only guess it's something to do with Programming or Testing?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Quote:

Diagramming tests are often used in the area of Information Technology to assess skills needed in IT roles such as software engineers, systems analysts and programmers.

These psychometric diagramming tests measure the ability to follow complex instructions often in the form of coded symbols and use these like they would use programming commands.

Often the diagramming tests ask the person to use a flowchart and series of rules to solve new problems with.

HTH
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

These were common for graduate programmes at consultancies. If you've got a techie brain they're a piece of p1ss but they're more for weeding out people with 'ology' degrees that couldn't get a real job and thought IT would be a blast - think most of them become BAs and PMs and go around saying "I'm not technical"

http://irisharmy.shlsolutions.net/DIT6.htm
            Last edited by Notascooby; 15 April 2011, 09:08. Reason: Edited with extra google provided link
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I refuse to do them, or any sort of test, it's contracting, if you fail on the job, you are terminated in two days.

No need for a test.
              +100
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                +100
                +10000
                At client up North recently was told I was lucky, normally they sit contractors in a room to do a test for 30 odd minutes. On telling them that they were lucky because had they have tried that I would have told them to shove it, they queried my attitude. I went on to mention I could provide any number of referees to contact about my abilities if the so wished and also pointed to one guy who had often bragged he had the highest score in their tests and whispered quietly 'look at him, he's lazy and pi$$es everyone off and you yourself would like to see him gone, how come your test didn't highlight that ?'
                I did do tests during the start of my career but wouldn't do them now and don't expect to be asked to do them given my experience that can be verified, they prove very little. And clients who give out such tests you may find will lack respect for contractors and may treat like temps.
                Last edited by SuperZ; 15 April 2011, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

No need for a test.
                  Agreed.
                  The last time I did a test like that was to get on the CSC graduate training scheme.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                    +10000
                    At client up North recently was told I was lucky, normally they sit contractors in a room to do a test for 30 odd minutes. On telling them that they were lucky because had they have tried that I would have told them to shove it, they queried my attitude. I went on to mention I could provide any number of referees to contact about my abilities if the so wished and also pointed to one guy who had often bragged he had the highest score in their tests and whispered quietly 'look at him, he's lazy and pi$$es everyone off and you yourself would like to see him gone, how come your test didn't highlight that ?'
                    I did do tests during the start of my career but wouldn't do them now and don't expect to be asked to do them given my experience that can be verified, they prove very little. And clients who give out such tests you may find will lack respect for contractors and may treat like temps.
                    Couldn't agree more, I also refuse to do any tests upfront and become very uninterested if they start asking me 'techie' questions in an interview. Fine when they ask ‘intelligent ‘ questions like how you'd approach certain situations, etc.

I get particularly miffed when they ask a series of noobie questions to check that my last fifteen years in contracting was more than just a lucky run.

These sort of companies have a blurred distinction between staff and contractors – not a place I’d want to offer my services to.
                    You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

Working...
                    X