• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training for 5K

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training for 5K

Hi,

I plan to run a 5K race, how long would you suggest I train for this? I am not that fit, but I am normal weight mid 30s. Don't smoke or drink much ( A few pints a week)

Start by spending a few hundred at a time and work your way up. With a bit of practice you should be able to get through £5k in less than 10 minutes and fit everything into a single shopping bag.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Give yourself 3 months. First month, basic aerobic fitness, endurance and 'getting used to running'. Second month, increasing VO2 max through interval and fartlek (google it) training. Third month, increasing speed (lowering your time) over distances ranging 1km to 6 km. Ease off the training in the last two weeks of the race.

Plenty of stuff on t'internet about this.

Oh, and do a cooper test every 3 weeks to track your progress; basically it's a 12 minute run to see how far you get; your local athletics club probably organises cooper tests regularly. (they'll be able to give you good training too)
      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 14 April 2011, 14:24.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Start by spending a few hundred at a time and work your way up. With a bit of practice you should be able to get through £5k in less than 10 minutes and fit everything into a single shopping bag.
        Sorry but I meant running? Was that not clear?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Erm, no, just find a woman; she won't need 10 minutes and one whole shopping bag to spend 5k.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Give yourself 3 months. First month, basic aerobic fitness, endurance and 'getting used to running'. Second month, increasing VO2 max through interval and fartlek (google it) training. Third month, increasing speed (lowring time) over distances ranging 1km to 6 km. Ease off the training in the last two weeks of the race.

Plenty of stuff on t'internet about this.
            I bought a Polar watch/HRM as well, this should help.

Thanks for the info, Google will be put into use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Erm, no, just find a woman; she won't need 10 minutes and one whole shopping bag to spend 5k.
              Yes, but you're more likely to come back with something useful if you do it yourself.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have a search for couch to 5K but in all honesty, unless you're super unfit, you could do a 5K now.
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

It's age and fitness related

I did a 126 mile canoeing marathon with 2 weeks training when I was in my 20s, but I was doing a lot of sports at the time

If I did that now I'd probably need six months training, being unfit and a lot older

YMMV
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                    Have a search for couch to 5K but in all honesty, unless you're super unfit, you could do a 5K now.
                    I don't think I could. So I must be super unfit. however that will change soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X