• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kid wasn't at school today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid wasn't at school today

Warning: depressing story!

The family of my daughter's school friend got a visit yesterday at midnight. To be deported from Switzerland to Germany. Apparently, up until about 6 months they were living in Germany, and had been since the early 1990s - having fled Kosovo. For reasons that aren't clear, the German authorities decided that they must be deported to Kosovo, despite the fact that their daughter is a German citizen, with a German passport, and they have relatives who have been given leave to stay. So the family fled, again - this time to Switzerland.

The Swiss authorities were trying to get the family regularised in Switzerland, but the German authorities found out yesterday that the family were here, and insisted they be returned to be deported to Kosovo. Due to various international/EU agreements, the Swiss have to oblige.

(The girl doesn't have to go, but she wants to stay with mum and dad).

So, yesterday my daughter said "See you tomorrow" to the girl. And today the seat was empty. A bit crap really. My daughter, indeed the whole class, are very upset about this.

Could have been worse. The kid of a friend of ours had a missing seat next to him last year... because the father of that kid had shot and killed his own family, before topping himself.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

What's amazing about this story is. If this was the UK. She'd still be here, and the next day, and the next day.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

But if the UK decided to deport you, and you fled to a neighbouring country, who were prepared to grant residency, would the UK demand your return so they could deport you? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        But if the UK decided to deport you, and you fled to a neighbouring country, who were prepared to grant residency, would the UK demand your return so they could deport you? I doubt it.
        I suppose not. So how quick was the extradition? Immediate?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Crikey - thats shocking

God love them.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Bit of a toughie especially on the kid but a lot of Albanians pretended to be Kosovan during the Balkan War to get to the West, maybe this is what happened here? It does ring true - having a foreign (non-EU) missus I read a lot of immigration boards and that's a big thing, especially in UK.

It's a pity the kid has to suffer but if the above is the case, which I'm not saying it is, the parents must take the rap.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Crikey - thats shocking

God love them.
              God obviously loves them.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What's amazing about this story is. If this was the UK. She'd still be here, and the next day, and the next day.
                And the amazing part is people would be complaining about it, right?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I suppose not. So how quick was the extradition? Immediate?
                  Knock on the door at midnight. Taken to German holding facility.

The classmates and teachers are considering what they can do to help. Not that there's much you can do, but at least, when the family get back in touch, they know that people here at least tried. In Switzerland the Immigration office is run by the bleeding hearts, but the laws are set by the equivalent of the daily mail readers. It's a pleasing balance.

Great, I now have a politicised 13 y.o. daughter - thanks Germany!

Comment

This happened a lot with the Germans before I think?
                    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

Comment

Working...
                    X