• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do New Lie ever think anything through.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CUK fornt page news item "your bedroom on the net".
    The politics of unintended consequences.

Once more I find myself reading the most ludicrous proposals and wondering if anybody in Tones crowd is capable thinking things through.
    They are proposing to let Council tax assesors take pictures of your house and publish them on the net to avoid arguments over your propertys value.

Here are a couple of my thoughts on this subject, I would love to hear yours.

1. They are creating a shopping centre for burglars, they wont even need to break in to find the goodies they want, NL will have published a catalogue for them, names and addresses supplied. Theft on demand.

2. There is no consideration of the fact that any investment I make in my property will not be realised unless I sell it or die, at which point stamp duty or death duty will net HMG a tidy sum.

3. The countries housing stock is going to go to ruin as people dont bother with refurbishments to increase the value of their property.

4. Smart rich people will live comfortably but put their money into other investments thus reducing their tax bill.

5. Some poor sod who has srimped and saved to make things nice will be penalised over the dosser next door.

This is wrong on so many levels, anyone else?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

i'm going home right now to paint **** OFF BLIAR on my front wall. That must put at least £10k on the value of my house......
    Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

They are creating a shopping centre for burglars
      It's all in aid of wealth distribution, innit.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        Once more I find myself reading the most ludicrous proposals and wondering if anybody in Tones crowd is capable thinking things through.
        Don't be daft!

They have spent the last 9 years dismantling the political independence of the Civil Service who would have told them this except now in the Civil Service the rule is 'What does Tone want? OK! We will do that'

Comment

Haven't bothered to read anyhting other than the original title

And I decided then the only correct answer was NO they don't

Comment

On the plus side, if they put live cameras in everybody's bedrooms it might help negate the ridiculous sexual consent laws they're talking about today.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Got my council tax bill yesterday. They have valued my flat in band D (around 80K) but its value is really in the £250-£300K bracket. It says on the bill that the valuation was done by Hector.

Is that a result or what?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Now what was that number again?

Originally posted by sasguru
                Got my council tax bill yesterday. They have valued my flat in band D (around 80K) but its value is really in the £250-£300K bracket. It says on the bill that the valuation was done by Hector.

You know, the one to report tax-dodgers
                Why not?

Comment

Sorry to piss on your bonfire, that valuation is from 1904 or something equally daft. They're claiming to revalue all the property bandings soon, up to a more up to date figure like from around 2000, and then everyone will go up at least one band and there will be prisons overloading from all the pensioners that refuse to pay.

Comment

Doesnt realy matter what its true worth is though does it, as long as all similarly priced property ends up in the same bracket. They could say they are worth ten bob or 5 camels(in bradford ooooh racism) but would still collect the same council tax.
                    I dont suppose you will be informing them of their mistake like you would have had it been in their favour?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X