• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT when quoting daily rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT when quoting daily rate

I intend to go contracting soon and process my payroll through an umbrella company. I am not VAT registered. When job agents asks for my daily rate, should I mention the rate incl. VAT or excl. VAT?

Originally posted by Sid View Post
    I intend to go contracting soon and process my payroll through an umbrella company. I am not VAT registered. When job agents asks for my daily rate, should I mention the rate incl. VAT or excl. VAT?
    I may be wrong here, but pretty sure VAT only applies to people providing services through their limited companies.

If you are going via umbrella, you'll pay full PAYE on your day rate. So quote to the agent the rate you want coming into the umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
      Your rate will be exclusive of VAT.

If the umbrella company wishes to apply VAT that's up for them to deal with not you. (Here's a relevant link from Parasol who post on here - http://www.parasolgroup.co.uk/contra...ors-vat-guide/ )

Even if you were going via your own limited company the rate should be quoted without VAT as it's customary for business to business services to be quoted exclusive of VAT.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Always talk about the rate excluding VAT.

If you form a LTD company and you become VAT registered then you add VAT to the rate.

If you work through a brolly then they will add VAT to the rate.

Either way the agency doesn't care because they are VAT registered too and they just claim it back on their VAT return.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X