• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

barbecues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barbecues

Been wanting a new barbecue for a while now so jumped at the opportunity to accept an invite to local garden centre where an afternoon of barbecue demonstrations was taking place.

Basically , they demoed a range of solid fuel, gas and electric appliances.

Always been tempted by a gas bbq but not convinced you'd get the authentic smokey bbq flavour. Quite surprised at the range of products on the market that let you achieve this like liquid smoke. Went for a Weber charcoal burner in the end.

Got a nice thermometer with it too which will allow me to do smoked chicken.

Also got a hand held seed broadcaster to help me sort those bald patches on my lawn. Better than getting a sore wrist. Left with a full boot and all in all very happy.

Weber BBQ with charcoal for me - lid on, lovely smoky flavours. Always give the charcoal time to settle down overwise you'll end up with cremated-on-the-outside-salmonella-on-the-inside nuggets of delight. And don't forget the damp hickory chips. Mmmm, I'm hungry...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Gas for me. No warm up time and no mess, if you get a good one you can even do a fry up on it which means you'll use it a lot more.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Gas Barbies

Being married to an Aussie, I'm reliably informed that it's not the coals that give that lovely smokey flavour. It's the fat and juices falling on the coals causing the smoke that gives the flavour.

As long as the gas barbie has lava rocks (or a smoke plate) then you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between gas or solid fuel.

My wife's old fella has a gas barbie (with a gas feed to his deck so he just wheels it out of the garage and plugs it in) and most of the Aussies I've met on my travels over there all have gas ones. Might be something to do with fire regulations making real coals a bit of a no-no.

HTH

Comment

Hi Pacharan,

good choice,

I also have the Weber 57 charcoal kettle

this will the second season with it

mine didn't come with the thermometer so I bought one ´during the winter and installed it

but, the next best investment you can make after the Weber, is to get the rotisserie attachment for it....

Weber Charcoal Barbecue Rotisserie 57cm: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

this takes your barbecuing to a new dimension because you are not restricted only to steaks, sausages and chickens, now you can do spit roasting (fnaar fnaar)

but joking aside, the rotisserie attachment is worth it's weight in gold

chicken off the spit roaster is different, because as it turns the juices run throught the chicken....

etc

Milan.

Comment

Yep, gas is best.

Cooks the food evenly, controllable and the food tastes brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Gas for me. No warm up time and no mess, if you get a good one you can even do a fry up on it which means you'll use it a lot more.
              WHS

Cooked a full Ulster Fry on my gas BBQ yesterday morning.
              SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

If you are a city person without a back garden then the disposable barbecues are good. I have used them at our local park a few times and they work a treat.

If I had a garden then using a gas barbecues would seem to me to be missing the point, why not just cook in your kitchen if you want the convenience? Pure laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  If you are a city person without a back garden then the disposable barbecues are good. I have used them at our local park a few times and they work a treat. Gas barbecues seem to me to be missing the point, why not just cook in your kitchen if you want the convenience? Pure laziness.
                  Because to cook properly you need lots of smoke from the fats dripping onto the stone/lava and if you did that in the house your house would be smoked out and stink.

The food tastes so much better without the charcoal putting soot and fire lighter residue over the food.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Because to cook properly you need lots of smoke from the fats dripping onto the stone/lava and if you did that in the house your house would be smoked out and stink.

The food tastes so much better without the charcoal putting soot and fire lighter residue over the food.
                    That all adds to the taste and experience. I bet these people also have those pretend fireplaces with an LCD screen showing a fire burning. "but its safer and i don't need to light it innit?"

Comment

Working...
                    X