• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How best to deal with people who keep sending you stupid chain emails

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How best to deal with people who keep sending you stupid chain emails

I keep getting those annoying kittens / angels / you will get rich / a miracle is going to happen chain emails from a member of my immediate family.

Forward this message the same day you received it.

It may sound ridiculous, but it is right on time.

We believe that something is about to happen.

Angels exist, only they haven't got wings and we call them
    friends; you are one of them.

Something wonderful is about to happen to you and your friends.

Tomorrow at 10:35am somebody will address you and tell you
    something you have been waiting to hear.

Please do not break it.
    Any suggestions on how I can make them stop?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Flag the person up as spam?

Then if something useful comes through tell them truthfully you didn't get it because they keep sending you rubbish.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I keep getting those annoying kittens / angels / you will get rich / a miracle is going to happen chain emails from a member of my immediate family.

Any suggestions on how I can make them stop?
      Or... tell them those types of email are full of nasty viruses, and the act of opening them is bad enough - but actually forwarding them results in all sorts of <made up> scary gubbins. Add "Trust me, I know about these things" and wink.

Comment

Tell them you've changed your email address. Set up a disposable one and give them that.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Ring them up tomorrow at 10:35 AM and tell them to **** off.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            Ring them up tomorrow at 10:35 AM and tell them to **** off.
            Hi Mum,

Just thought I would give you a bell and tell you to shove your emails up your arse with a broken bottle.

How's Dad?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Oh right. You never mentioned that you were from one of those disgustingly twee families, who never tell each other to **** off or ram things up their arse with a broken bottle.

Comment

I used to get loads of these of a former colleague and friend who I thought was otherwise quite normal. I tried just replying to her telling her they were nonsense (the hoax ones) but that didn't work, so when she sent one, I did a reply all (the list included members of her family and friends) listing when it was so daft with links to snopes etc

She never sent me any more, but she is still talking to me.

Comment

Greetings, You have just received the "IRISH VIRUS". As we don't have any programming experience, this Virus works on the honour system. Please delete all the files on your hard drive manually and forward this Virus to everyone on your mailing list. Thank you for your cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Hi Mum,

Just thought I would give you a bell and tell you to shove your emails up your arse with a broken bottle.

How's Dad?
                    Dear Mum

Send this email to five people in three minutes and naff all will happen.

Guaranteed to work every time - I've tried it twice and both times, without fail, naff all happened.

Failure to comply with the above instructions will also result in naff all happening - you have been warned!

Try it - it really works - naff all will happen.

Lots of love,
                    doodab

(p.s. I hope the fairies bring you luck anyway...)

Substituting 'naff' with an obscenity of your choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X