• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Mildly Unwell Bed Vol. LXVIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Mildly Unwell Bed Vol. LXVIII

Feeling a bit under the weather at the moment Still, I saw an old friend for the first time in over twelve years at the weekend and he's in a much worse state than me, so that was nice He'd probably be better if he read more stuff like this:
    • The World's Biggest Pac-Man - Huge universe of Pac-Man mazes; requires a modern browser as it uses HTML5, CSS3 and related technologies. WFM on Safari 5 and Chrome 9, fails on Opera 10.

• Women in Art - "500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art." Beautiful video by Philip Scott Johnson with music by J.S. Bach.

• The Diana-Morrissey Phenomenon - "August 31, 1997: 19 years to-the-day since Morrissey met guitarist Johnny Marr, Princess Diana is killed under circumstances foreshadowed in Morrissey's work, beginning with an album by The Smiths." Indeed... as conspiracy theories go, this one is way out there

• Spotify Technology: How Spotify Works - "Spotify uses some particularly clever streaming technology to deliver all that instant music. It’s been described in an academic paper by Spotify techno-wizards Gunnar Kreitz and Fredrik Niemelä, who included some very interesting statistics and analysis of their measurements taken during one week in the early part of 2010. It’s a pretty dense technical read, but there are some fascinating stats to be gleaned amongst the computer science." If you fancy getting in deeper, Kreitz and Niemelä's paper is available as a PDF.

• Warren Buffett: The U.S. is moving toward plutocracy - The billionaire discusses the recent financial turmoil and offers thoughts for the future. "I mean, when times are good, it is kind of like Cinderella at the ball. She knew at midnight that everything was going to turn into pumpkins and mice, but it was just so much damn fun, dancing there, the guys looked better and the drinks got more frequent and there were no clocks on the wall. And that's what happened with capitalism. We have a lot of fun as the bubble blows up, and we all think we are going to get out five minutes before midnight, but there are no clocks on the wall."

• Borges' Animals - A strange classification of animals from the pen of Jorge Luis Borges. One could ponder the meaning of this for hours, and indeed, people do.

• The Prostitutes’ Padre Harold Davidson and the Lyons Corner House in Coventry Street - "The Reverend Harold Francis Davidson, the Rector of the small Norfolk parish of Stiffkey for twenty-five years, was utterly besotted and bewitched by pretty young girls -- of that there was no doubt. Exactly how he behaved in the company of said pretty young girls was more up for debate. And in 1932 practically the whole country, including the highest echelons of the Church of England, were debating exactly that." The remarkable story of the country vicar who spent most of his time pursuing young women in the West End. (There are loads of other great stories about London on that site.)

• Honest Logos - "An idea for a series with honest logos, revealing the actual content of the company, what they really should be called. Some are cheap, some might be a bit funny, some will maybe be brilliant. I don't know." An amusing set of designs by Viktor Hertz.

• A Murder Foretold: Unravelling the ultimate political conspiracy. - "Rodrigo Rosenberg knew that he was about to die. It wasn’t because he was approaching old age—he was only forty-eight. Nor had he been diagnosed with a fatal illness; an avid bike rider, he was in perfect health. Rather, Rosenberg, a highly respected corporate attorney in Guatemala, was certain that he was going to be assassinated." He was right; here, David Grann explores the background to the brutal killing.

• Things Organized Neatly - Photographs of things organized neatly. I don't know why.

Happy invoicing!
    Last edited by NickFitz; 18 April 2011, 16:14.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]Women in Art - "500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art." Beautiful video by Philip Scott Johnson with music by J.S. Bach.
    Is it SFW?

P.S. Sorry to hear you're feeling off par. Is it just a chill/flu, or the ticker again?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Things Organized Neatly - Photographs of things organized neatly. I don't know why.

Happy invoicing!
      Got any of ladies popping balloons? I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Is it SFW?

P.S. Sorry to hear you're feeling off par. Is it just a chill/flu, or the ticker again?
        Yes, eminently SFW unless anybody still gets offended by Cubism.

Just a vague malaise related to the digestive process

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Got any of ladies popping balloons? I like that.
          Probably NSFW, but yes.

Comment

Anyone else care to join me in the not used Spotify yet club?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Anyone else care to join me in the not used Spotify yet club?
              I'll see your Spotify and raise you to barely remember my Password to CUK
              Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
              Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Feeling a bit under the weather at the moment
                Get well soon, Nick !

<trivia>
                Will read later

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Get well soon, Nick !
                  Cheers - feeling a lot better today, despite having found it very hard to get to sleep last night. First thing this morning, I had an appointment with the cardiologist who decided there was sod-all wrong with me and packed me off after ten minutes

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Will read later
                  There'll be a test at the end.

Comment

Things Organized Neatly - Photographs of things organized neatly. I don't know why.
                    I once had a girlfriend who was into that; it didn't work out.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X