• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cutlery Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutlery Etiquette

At the end of a meal do you put your cutlery together or do you just leave them on the plate fork at 8pm and the knife at 4pm so it still looks like you haven't your finished your meal ?

I don't think Im a snob of any sorts but I thought putting your cutlery together at the end of a meal was a given, current girlfriends refuses to do it, on eating with her family all 3 generations of them none of them put there cutlery together so I can see where she picked it up from. On a meal out on Saturday with my family and girlfiend I could tell the waiter couldn't workout if she had finished or not, it was a bit embarrassing.

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    At the end of a meal do you put your cutlery together or do you just leave them on the plate fork at 8pm and the knife at 4pm so it still looks like you haven't your finished your meal ?

I don't think Im a snob of any sorts but I thought putting your cutlery together at the end of a meal was a given, current girlfriends refuses to do it, on eating with her family all 3 generations of them none of them put there cutlery together so I can see where she picked it up from. On a meal out on Saturday with my family and girlfiend I could tell the waiter couldn't workout if she had finished or not, it was a bit embarrassing.

Apart from the fact that you're unable to follow the etiquette of writing in English I'd agree with you.

Comment

Disgraceful. Is she an Englishwoman? Worse still if she is.

I'm no anob either but I have a thing about cutlery etiquette. Think it was bred into me. Worst transgressions include shovelling peas, putting one's knife in one's mouth and holding one's knife like a pen.

Comment

Bleeding eck. Even I can't get worked up about where people leave their cutlery and I'm the sort who gets in a panic when I find a 20mm screw in a box of 30mm screws.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Eat with your hands.

Problem solved.

Comment

Definitely together - Putting them in a V shape pointing away from you specifically indicates you haven't finished, and you're just laying the cutlery down for a moment while reaching for some bread or something. Jeez, no wonder the waiter was confused.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's not snobbery, just good manners, like not eating with your mouth open or licking your knife.

I like the fact that you call her your Girl Fiend ! I'm sure it was no accident

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Eat with your hands.

Problem solved.
                Unless you wipe your arse with 'em...

The correct way is to put the cutlery in your handbag after eating.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Definitely bad form IMHO

Almost as bad as people who use just their fork as some sort of cutting/shovel-like implement - yankee style.

Also, based on my last dining out experience, elbows on the table is now accepted practise.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Definitely together - Putting them in a V shape pointing away from you specifically indicates you haven't finished, and you're just laying the cutlery down for a moment while reaching for some bread or something. Jeez, no wonder the waiter was confused.
                    If you put them either side in Belgium, then expect to have your plate taken away as it means you have finished.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X