• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tourist visit to London next week. Good idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tourist visit to London next week. Good idea?

I'm just weighing up a day trip to London with the kids next week, say Tuesday or Wednesday. Obviously this is smack in the middle of a) the school holidays and b) the biggest English Bank Holiday bonanza in living memory (or an average week in Italy).

I'm trying to work out whether that will work in our favour, with everyone taking the three days off and fleeing the country for the duration, leaving London like the beginning of 28 Days Later, or if it just means that thousands and thousands of stupid tourists will pour in to town for stupid days out with their stupid children. Uhh, like me.

Anyone care to make an educated guess? No, hang on, this is CUK. Anyone care to offer some pointless speculation based on nothing more than a wild guess?

Either will do.

It will be horrid.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

You could always take them somewhere nice instead
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

What about the seaside? Where are you starting from?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

We live in the countryside and not far from the beach, so going in to London is variety and a different day out. I know when you live in London you want to get out to the seaside and the countryside, but it does work the other way round as well.

So, do people expect London to be packed next week? Even more than usual I mean, or about the same, or a bit less?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            We live in the countryside and not far from the beach, so going in to London is variety and a different day out. I know when you live in London you want to get out to the seaside and the countryside, but it does work the other way round as well.

So, do people expect London to be packed next week? Even more than usual I mean, or about the same, or a bit less?
            I would say even more than normal and normal generally means heaving anyway
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

as long as you know it will be a nightmare and don't get worked up about it there is no problem, see the crowds and chaos as being part of the great adventure trip to the sprawling metropolis of london

Comment

As a Londoner I expect all the Northern Numpties, Home Counties Homies and European Existentialists will bugger orf back to their origins.
                Bank holidays in London are usually very quiet and I expect this one to be more so than usual, or I'll be very disappointed.

I don't know if the parasite's wedding will change the normal pattern of events though.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

AFAIK the kids are supposed to be at school on those three days so it shouldn't be full of people enjoying family days out, on the other hand it will be full of foreign tourists, people working, and all the usual crap.

But then if you want the genuine London experience, a bit of heaving is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I would say even more than normal and normal generally means heaving anyway
                    Agree, the influx of tourists has started early this year and next week will be pretty bad. Especially with this wedding nonsense.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X