• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked or visited The Hague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone worked or visited The Hague

I'm off to the Hague in a couple of weeks to spend 5 nights with the Mother in Law who works there at the moment.

Any ideas on what to see and do? I know it's easy to get to Delft and Bruges from there but is there much that's worth a visit in the Hague itself? It doesn't get its own travel guides like Amsterdam so I'm presuming its not really the most touristy place in the world.....

Pretty certain Mitch the Tester has worked there and he's a permanent resident in cloggy land so it's worth asking him.

I worked in the Hague quite a bit, but that was 20 years ago so I really don't remember the place and I only ever made flying visits to fix mainframes so I never saw the sights.

Comment

Is this any good? Is it the right week?

A Holiday Week in The Hague

Starting with the Life I Live Festival on Friday, 29 April and ending with the Bevrijdingsfestival on Thursday, 5 May The Hague will be filled this year with plenty of hustle and bustle!
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Is this any good? Is it the right week?

A Holiday Week in The Hague
        We don't go until 12th May so we'll miss that I'm afraid.

Comment

There isn't actually much to do there at all, except for the beach. It doesn't even have it's own airport, which should tell you something (then again, Schiphol is only 20 mins away by train). I'm sure it will have some life somewhere because there are several big expat employers there, but on the face of it, it's sleepville I'm afraid. But the whole country can be crossed in two hours, so if you're here as a tourist, tour I hope the weather stays beach-worthy for your trip.

Mich might have more insight, as the others say.
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
            There isn't actually much to do there at all, except for the beach. It doesn't even have it's own airport, which should tell you something (then again, Schiphol is only 20 mins away by train). I'm sure it will have some life somewhere because there are several big expat employers there, but on the face of it, it's sleepville I'm afraid. But the whole country can be crossed in two hours, so if you're here as a tourist, tour I hope the weather stays beach-worthy for your trip.

Mich might have more insight, as the others say.
            Yep; Scheveningen's the place for a night out. However, there are a few good restaurants in the Hague if that's what you want.

I don't know the Hague very well, occasionally spend a night there to visit an old clientco; I often eat in Het Kabinet, eten & drinken not OTT, sensible prices and good food. The Hague is really just a big government village and not full of sights to see.

Hotels; Babylon is very convenient right next to the station, quite acceptible, and Novotel City Centre is in the middle of town and fine for a few nights.

Rotterdam's a tuliphole IMO and Gouda looks nice but has a big drug crime problem. Half an hour on the train from the Hague is Haarlem, which is really a very nice place indeed with lots of good little restaurants and bars and a good museum (Teylers). Real old Dutch town, not too touristy and well worth a visit.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Yep; Scheveningen's the place for a night out. However, there are a few good restaurants in the Hague if that's what you want.

I don't know the Hague very well, occasionally spend a night there to visit an old clientco; I often eat in Het Kabinet, eten & drinken not OTT, sensible prices and good food. The Hague is really just a big government village and not full of sights to see.

Hotels; Babylon is very convenient right next to the station, quite acceptible, and Novotel City Centre is in the middle of town and fine for a few nights.

Rotterdam's a tuliphole IMO and Gouda looks nice but has a big drug crime problem. Half an hour on the train from the Hague is Haarlem, which is really a very nice place indeed with lots of good little restaurants and bars and a good museum (Teylers). Real old Dutch town, not too touristy and well worth a visit.
              Another town/cheese.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by ilovehr View Post
                I'm off to the Hague in a couple of weeks to spend 5 nights with the Mother in Law who works there at the moment.

Any ideas on what to see and do? I know it's easy to get to Delft and Bruges from there but is there much that's worth a visit in the Hague itself? It doesn't get its own travel guides like Amsterdam so I'm presuming its not really the most touristy place in the world.....
                The Mauritshuis has Vermeer's Head of a Girl, and his View of Delft, which Van Gogh said was the greatest painting in the world. With all Vermeers but IMHO especially those 2, you have to see them for yourself.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Thanks for the tips chaps

Accommodation's sorted as the mother in law has an apartment in the centre of town.

The only thing on the itinerary in the Hague itself is a tour of the Courts of Justice. I think other than that, we'll head out and about and maybe go to Delft and Bruges.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Another town/cheese.
                    Aw bless
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X