• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Tim Berners-Lee on social networking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Tim Berners-Lee on social networking

“How do we build the web so that every now and then it introduces us to people who are not friends of friends,” he pondered. For example, if you were a “white male geek living in London, speaking English, you’re Church of England, and you like fishing” and it introduces you to someone just like that, who likes skiing, “to see how that stretches you, to find how you can communicate with skiers, and try to explain to a skier why you spend all that time fishing.”
    Or, it might suggest someone just like you, living somewhere entirely different. “Could you actually count that person as a friend, join a group a people who are bridging national divides? That might be more of a stretch. How could we make the web push people so that they break down barriers?” he wondered, calling for people to “make use of the web so it connects people together… and breaks down barriers more than it builds them up.” Again, Berners-Lee issued a challenge for developers to create a social network that does just that.
    Clearly he hasn't heard of chatroulette.

Berners-Lee: Stop foaming at the mouth, Twitter | PC Pro blog
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I saw that once, never again it nearly made my eyes bleed
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      I saw that once, never again it nearly made my eyes bleed
      You got off lightly then
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

He might like StackOverflow. One of the many good things about StackOverflow is that it prints "comments" (as opposed to "Questions" and "Answers") in a shade of grey that emphasises their impotence.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Berners-Lee: Stop foaming at the mouth, Twitter | PC Pro blog
          And why would anyone _want_ to break barriers, unless they're terminally bored?

I have quite enough strangers suddenly popping up in my emails and so on without wanting to encourage more!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X