• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 'other' housing market, where house prices have regressed 60pc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'other' housing market, where house prices have regressed 60pc

Even the row of terraced houses in North West London where I live has managed to put the housing crash behind it; these relatively modest late Victorian properties again sell at record prices.

Yet stray beyond London and the South East, and you see an altogether different picture, one that goes largely unrecorded by the established indices for measuring the UK housing market – Halifax, Nationwide, Rightmove and so on.

To see this "other" housing market, I've been to Newcastle and its surrounding areas in the North East, the region that gave birth to the folly of Northern Rock.

Like all property markets, prices in the region are highly calibrated. There remain sizeable pockets of prosperity, where values, though still significantly off, have held up reasonably well. As in many parts of London, it's easy to imagine from these relatively well to do districts that there never was much of a housing crash.

Unfortunately, they are more the exception than the rule. Little more than a stone's throw from these posher areas lies a tale of catastrophic decline and value destruction to match the very worst the sub-prime crisis has managed to produce in the US. Tens of thousands of houses in the North East alone will have fallen in value by 30-60pc since the peak, and by the look of it, still have further to go.

More from the source: The 'other' housing market, where house prices have regressed 60pc - Telegraph

---

Depressing reading - if things weren't bad up north they had DimPrawn move in...

One could be rather cynical about that report.

Ooh, look, say the Barclay Brothers who made their fortune out of property in London, "Let's get one of the assistant editors in the paper we own to bash the North East and persuade everyone to move to London".

No conflict of interest there.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Ooh, look, say the Barclay Brothers who made their fortune out of property in London, "Let's get one of the assistant editors in the paper we own to bash the North East and persuade everyone to move to London". No conflict of interest there.
      Do you really think they give a tulip about articles like this? It's not like North East needs bashing.

The rents there are probably dirty cheap, which is probably why our own DimPrawn moved.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        The rents there are probably dirty cheap, which is probably why our own DimPrawn moved.
        Indeed. With his Swindon background he probably felt like a big fish in a small sea up North.
        Then his hubris led him to enquire about London, which soon put him in his place.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Indeed. With his Swindon background he probably felt like a big fish in a small sea up North.
          Aye.

btw, can you stop using such a long password to your account? It affects quantity of posts!

Comment

Aye.

btw, can you stop using such a long password to your account? It affects quantity of posts!
            Anyway how goes it you old Russkie? Business going anywhere? I wish it would.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Anyway how goes it you old Russkie? Business going anywhere? I wish it would.
              It's going well, few more years and I might be able to afford an eco shed

Comment

It's going well, few more years and I might be able to afford an eco shed
                Good. Don't forget your friends who encouraged you when you're rich and famous
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Good. Don't forget your friends who encouraged you when you're rich and famous
                  Naturally. You'll need to tell me your address in London, I'll send you a bottle of cheap whiskey, it would also help me ensure I don't move anywhere near you

Comment

The housing market is reverting to its natural level. Wildly over-priced in the South-East, far lower in the north. As late as 1999 you could buy 3 bedroomed terraced houses in many northern cities for < 50k. What distorted the market was the creation of various public sector jobs by NuLab (plus the era of easy credit). Now those public sector workers are being made unemployed, and they can no longer get a mortgage, the demand for private housing in those areas has slumped.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X