• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking about guardsmen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about guardsmen

Nah, not that kind of thinking.

Apparently the guardsmen at the forthcoming royal wedding are under strict orders (the phrase "standing orders" doesn't seem quite appropriate in the circs) to faint, if they must, at attention i.e. fall forwards like a log and land smack on their face. Anyone who "crumples" or, worse still, falls backward is in for a major bollocking, and fatigues probably involving a long row of toilets and a toothbrush.

But clearly someone fainting in the approved manner is likely to break their nose, and most likely a couple of teeth too. So I wondered if a couple of unobtrusive safety features could be incorporated about their person.

Firstly, prevention is better than cure. So given that the chinstrap of their bearskin is almost at mouth level, why not have a water bottle, or lucozade, in their bearskin hat with a skin-coloured tube running down behind the chinstrap where they could discretely sneak a sip every now and then.

Also, it wouldn't be hard to design a miniature airbag which they could wear under the front of their tunic near their neck. It wouldn't need deploying to any great size to protect them from the worst of the impact, and it could be a double action one which would empty after the impact as fast as it filled before. A potential snag would be accidental deployments while the wearer was upright, which would leave them looking like a bullfrog with a suddenly expanded throat!

Any other ideas? Seriously, if I were a guardsman facing four hours of ceremonial marching on a hot day I'd neck about a quart of water beforehand, and wear a plastic incontinence bag down my leg.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

All they have to do is stand on the balls of their feet to stop them fainting. They get told that and the stupid gits still faint.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Apparently the guardsmen at the forthcoming royal wedding are under strict orders (the phrase "standing orders" doesn't seem quite appropriate in the circs) to faint, if they must, at attention i.e. fall forwards like a log and land smack on their face.
        Saw a guy do that once. Fell forward and landed on his chin, and his lower teeth ended up coming through his top lip. Nice!!
        He had also gone a strange shade of green too. Two other guys dragged him off the Parade Square ensuring that umpteen layers of polish were removed from the toecaps of his boots into the bargain.
        Mind you he had transferred from the REME to the Signals, so was obviously a tad more delicate than us scalybacks! Eh EO?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Saw a guy do that once. Fell forward and landed on his chin, and his lower teeth ended up coming through his top lip. Nice!!
          He had also gone a strange shade of green too. Two other guys dragged him off the Parade Square ensuring that umpteen layers of polish were removed from the toecaps of his boots into the bargain.
          Mind you he had transferred from the REME to the Signals, so was obviously a tad more delicate than us scalybacks! Eh EO?

And when he transferred, the average IQ of both corps went up by 20 points.

Seriously though, being in sh1t state, on a tight water discipline, unbearable heat and not being able to move, is what it means to be a soldier. Dont feel sorry for them, be proud, they are top men

my brother fainted on his passing out parade. He had injured his back falling off a rope in the gym earlier, but refused to go to the mrc. I have it on a dvd, he did a half crumple half chin job
          we gave him 3 out of 5

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X