• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuel expenses paid by client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel expenses paid by client?

Just got an offer of a new contract and the day rate is good plus the client is willing to reimburse fuel expenses and provide a place of accomodation during working times.

Although I do not know the fine details yet I would imagine I invoice for the fuel and provide copies of receipts.

As I have never been able to reclaim sch expenses or have paid accomodation provided for me I would like to know if others have experience of similar situations and if there are any pitfalls I should try and find out beforehand.

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    Just got an offer of a new contract and the day rate is good plus the client is willing to reimburse fuel expenses and provide a place of accomodation during working times.

Although I do not know the fine details yet I would imagine I invoice for the fuel and provide copies of receipts.

As I have never been able to reclaim sch expenses or have paid accomodation provided for me I would like to know if others have experience of similar situations and if there are any pitfalls I should try and find out beforehand.
    Whilst I have never charged clients for fuel or accomodation costs before, I have charged one client for travel costs once. All I did was to keep a copy of the receipt and send the original to the agent / client.

When you say your client is prepared to pay for fuel costs, is that at 40p per mile, or the cost of filling up your tank? I would have thought 40p (or is it now 65p?) per mile would be better than fuel costs itself (wear and tear, etc).
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Don't know yet but I have asked the agent to provide the details of the arrangement in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        Whilst I have never charged clients for fuel or accomodation costs before, I have charged one client for travel costs once. All I did was to keep a copy of the receipt and send the original to the agent / client.

When you say your client is prepared to pay for fuel costs, is that at 40p per mile, or the cost of filling up your tank? I would have thought 40p (or is it now 65p?) per mile would be better than fuel costs itself (wear and tear, etc).
        It has risen to 45p per mile for first 10k miles from April 11. Every little helps !

Comment

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
          If it's something that you'd claim every day then I'd just figure out how much you'd claim in expenses and then add that much to the daily rate. Saves messing about getting expense claims approved etc.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            It has risen to 45p per mile for first 10k miles from April 11. Every little helps !
            That's not necessarily anything to do with what a client will reimburse you.

Make sure you're clear on the VAT situation, because it can get somewhat complicated.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Well the Client has responded to say that they will reimburse the fuel receipt but there does not seem to be a distinction between business and personal use. Have currently got my eye on a E39 540i M Sport as a comfier alternative to my existing VXR but its a 100 mile trip to the Client office from my office and don't really want to piss of the client claiming ££££ for petrol. However the way I see it they have not specified I must have an economical diesel etc and view this as an open invitation to run whatever I want i.e. older M5.

Comment

Working...
              X