• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nobody mourning Computer Weekly?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody mourning Computer Weekly?

Computer Weekly has bitten the dust.

The last and final issue was a teensy 32 pages.

The number of job ads has gone up relative to January, 2 for a government security agency I've never heard of, one to be a part-time copper and one for a gambling web site. But not enough to keep them going.

Just Computing to go and then we can give up pretending we have an IT industry.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

It went without a splash, I didn't know it had gone. I read The Register these days, which I guess swiped the usual CW readership.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      Computer Weekly has bitten the dust.

The last and final issue was a teensy 32 pages.

The number of job ads has gone up relative to January, 2 for a government security agency I've never heard of, one to be a part-time copper and one for a gambling web site. But not enough to keep them going.

Just Computing to go and then we can give up pretending we have an IT industry.
      They are still online just now - is it goingcompletely, or just moving to an online prescense?

Pretty scary headlines though, all doom and gloom about everything getting outsourced.....

Time to brush up on Project Management I think and get ready for moving out of IT......

Comment

The growth of internet IT recruitment killed off computer weekly, ironic. After the 2002 downturn nobody bothered advertising in it and the 50 pages of job adverts went down to 2 and never came back up when the upturn hit.

I recall in 2000 as a permie being congratulated in an appraisal for always being the first to read CW when it came through the office door.

I also think the standardisation of software/infrastructure stacks made people less likely to want to read about what was 'coming up next'.

So long CW, I enjoyed your poorly researched articles and will miss you like I miss the BBC test page which I do not miss that much really.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

So long CW, I enjoyed your poorly researched articles and will miss you like I miss the BBC test page which I do not miss that much really.
          Aarrrgghhh. I have to agree with Minestrone.I remember there was a brief period where it contained interesting and relevant articles but it ceased to be relevant a long time ago. It seemed to become a mouthpiece for the BCS (which, I will confess, I belonged to for a long time) and the established order. Bad for a fast moving industry.

RIP anyway. Gone, but we are not.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Aarrrgghhh. I have to agree with Minestrone.I remember there was a brief period where it contained interesting and relevant articles but it ceased to be relevant a long time ago. It seemed to become a mouthpiece for the BCS (which, I will confess, I belonged to for a long time) and the established order. Bad for a fast moving industry.
            I recall reading someone from the BCS saying in CW a computer programmer was the industry equivalent of a bricklayer which I was going to mention in that post.

THey did have a mild attempt at looking into goverment IT projects about 8 years ago but spent 5 times as much time typing on the chinook crash on the mull which never made any sense to me as they did not 'want to blame the programmer' but filled up dozens of front pages with 'it was an computer fault' headlines.

I think I ditched it about 2003, maybe, after weeks of pointless rants about the airspace software management software bugs "they just wrote a wrapper round the old code" and dull articles about Oracle launches.

Comment

Just googled "computer weekly chinook" and they have a good few articles on the crash last year...

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...closed-MoD.htm

Not much different to what they were writing about in 1999...

BBC News | UK | Magazine disputes Chinook tragedy cause

...on a bit of software written in the 80s.

Comment

Just googled "computer weekly chinook" and they have a good few articles on the crash last year...

Chinook computer was 'positively dangerous' say newly-disclosed MoD documents - 1/4/2010 - Computer Weekly

Not much different to what they were writing about in 1999...

BBC News | UK | Magazine disputes Chinook tragedy cause

...on a bit of software written in the 80s.
                They had some interesting points to make re: the Chinook crash and it generated a debate, at least. I do ragard the mag as part of my happier, naive youth though and that is sad.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It was never really relevant to me or the general industry and I think the bored the tits out of the readership over this crash, same with the air traffic control software

But yes I do agree that it was a good read back in the old days even if it was just to take you away from writing dull code for firms that never allowed Internet access last century and had 30 minute build file scripts you had to look busy watching.

Comment

It was never really relevant to me or the general industry and I think the bored the tits out of the readership over this crash, same with the air traffic control software

But yes I do agree that it was a good read back in the old days even if it was just to take you away from writing dull code for firms that never allowed Internet access last century and had 30 minute build file scripts you had to look busy watching.
                    No internet access Build scripts

I'm sure I was happier then ...
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X