• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farewell to the humble typewriter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell to the humble typewriter

RIP Typewriters: Last Manufacturer Closes Its Doors

The last company on earth to produce the typewriter — Godrej and Boyce — has shut down its production plant in Mumbai, India, according to reports that, fittingly, are making the rounds via the Internet.
    I remember having a smith-corona. But then my dad showed me his IBM Selectric typewriter. That was cool watching the ball jump. It came with a sort of "erase" feature using a ink lifting tape. Cool technology back then.

Last typewriter I had I picked out a dumpster. It was in mint condition and I managed to sell it on for an easy £20.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    RIP Typewriters: Last Manufacturer Closes Its Doors

I remember having a smith-corona. But then my dad showed me his IBM Selectric typewriter. That was cool watching the ball jump. It came with a sort of "erase" feature using a ink lifting tape. Cool technology back then.

Last typewriter I had I picked out a dumpster. It was in mint condition and I managed to sell it on for an easy £20.
    My Olympia typewriter will still be working in a few hundred years time, long after computers cease to work
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      My Olympia typewriter will still be working in a few hundred years time, long after computers cease to work
      Maybe, but it'll be a bugger trying to buy a ribbon for it.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
        Maybe, but it'll be a bugger trying to buy a ribbon for it.
        Olympia SG-1 (c.1953)

$795.00 It's comming out the attic now!
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
        X