• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring gig driving me nuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring gig driving me nuts

The current gig is getting very dull. I am currently liasing with other project teams for data mining. This basically means I spend my days batting the ball over the net to get nothing back. Clearly with no proper backing from the upper echelons I am not going to get anywhere as these teams have their own roadmaps and my project is not on them. I have pointed this out.

And I am bored. Crashingly bored. Sure I can invoice, but at what level of boredom would you chaps consider moving on? The boredom has now reached painful levels.
    Nope, you can invoice so no problem, STFU.
    42.86%
    Maybe, it would have to be pretty boring though.
    38.10%
    Too right, the reason I went contracting was for the variety of challenging work.
    14.29%
    AndyW's mum is your PM.
    4.76%
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Ask to work remotely? At least they can't see you reskilling in something useful then!
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      Ask to work remotely? At least they can't see you reskilling in something useful then!
      I WFH anyway. The thing that really irks me is that I have to submit a weekly progress report. When I submit a progress report that says there has been no progress I get moaned at for being too negative.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Make a spreadsheet. When you are finished, make another.

A man who is tired of spreadsheets is tired of life.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm actually in the same boat, boring gig, no proper management backing, work from home so no canteen or summer boobies to distract me. Money is fairly good though. But yes I'm looking for a new job. Perm actually. So that if I end up in this situation again and I can go over my boss' head and also invest the effort and grey hairs to get the job done on the way to some sort of promotion, increased responsibility next time rather than having to go to the next contract gig and start at the bottom again.

Don't worry, it'll probably be a temporary perm thing for 3 to 5 years, up skill, settle in one location and sector then hit contracting again later at 50% higher day rate.

So yep, start looking for a new job, just don't tell them you're leaving because its carp .....something I have to remind myself every day.

Comment

Current gig is turning out to be dull, simply because there is nowt much to do and there never will be much to do.
            Small company and they are not willing to spend the money on the resources needed to support the work that needs to be done on the programme, so the projects are going to suffer and those that are not getting the support have to do the projects along with an already increasing bau workload.
            There is an extension on the table but there is only so much boredom one can take, so I'm looking elsewhere.
            The upside is because I've gained a niche skill, the gigs out there are paying 20 - 40% more.
            Will keep my eye on the market and if nowt interesting comes up then I'll put up with being bored.

Keep invoicing.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Whenever I start having dull days, I listen to music. Then at least the day goes quicker, and if you're discreet it still looks like you're working
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Whenever I start having dull days, I listen to music. Then at least the day goes quicker, and if you're discreet it still looks like you're working
                Not when you sit side by side with your boss and they can also see your screen, so surfing surreptitiously is also out of the question.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Not when you sit side by side with your boss and they can also see your screen, so surfing surreptitiously is also out of the question.
                  Get two monitors on your desk, at 45 degree angles, one your boss can see one they can't....simples
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    The current gig is getting very dull. I am currently liasing with other project teams for data mining. This basically means I spend my days batting the ball over the net to get nothing back. Clearly with no proper backing from the upper echelons I am not going to get anywhere as these teams have their own roadmaps and my project is not on them. I have pointed this out.

And I am bored. Crashingly bored. Sure I can invoice, but at what level of boredom would you chaps consider moving on? The boredom has now reached painful levels.
                    Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I see a project is going no where, I get out as soon as I can. Sometimes at the interview stage!

I would rather be doing something interesting, I have also found only life sucking, bores stay on these project.
                    Their only role in life is to b1tch and moan, who wants to spend time with them.

So as Yourdon said "Get out now"

The longer I have stayed in contracting the more role I have turned down. Also if you are comming from a bad role I think it shows at interview.

HTH
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X