• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the pound fell on ONS inflation figures

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the pound fell on ONS inflation figures

And earlier last week we're gloating about retail sales rebounding! We're saved! They shouted.

We're so full of it.

EU states with the biggest deficits and debts - in graphs

And another thing, how is it Spain and Portugal have not printed a penny yet we're in 3rd place? What happens if the euro disney project is not scrapped, does the UK become the poor man of Europe?

The Eurostat figures show the EU countries in 2010 with the largest government deficits as a percentage of GDP. They were: Ireland (-32.4pc), Greece (-10.5pc), the United Kingdom (-10.4pc), Spain (-9.2pc), Portugal (-9.1pc), Poland (-7.9pc), Slovakia (-7.9pc), Latvia (-7.7pc), Lithuania (-7.1pc) and France (-7pc).
    The lowest deficits were recorded in Luxembourg (-1.7pc), Finland (-2.5pc) and Denmark (-2.7pc). Estonia (0.1pc) registered a slight government surplus in 2010 and Sweden (0pc) was in balance.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Well, it's gone down by 1% if you look at the number but it's typical to see people misrepresent stats by showing charts with base not fixed to 0.

If it was then you'd struggle to see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Well, it's gone down by 1% if you look at the number but it's typical to see people misrepresent stats by showing charts with base not fixed to 0.

I'm showing a trend not a chart, no base required.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I'm showing a trend not a chart, no base required.
        You can't talk of a trend using like 24 hours worth of data, especially when it is presented in a more or less fraudlent way with base fixed at non-zero thus totally misleading people who won't pay attention to axis Y's values - anyone who uses charts in such a way deserves to get fired very quickly.

Comment

And another thing, how is it Spain and Portugal have not printed a penny yet we're in 3rd place?
          Thirteen years of New Labour.

HTH.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Same drop on proper chart:

Fooking scary crash innit?

Comment

You can't talk of a trend using like 24 hours worth of data, especially when it is presented in a more or less fraudlent way with base fixed at non-zero thus totally misleading people who won't pay attention to axis Y's values - anyone who uses charts in such a way deserves to get fired very quickly.
              fraudulent

Trend is measured with the rate of change not time, i.e. "a general direction in which something is developing or changing"

What are we teaching the youngsters these days...

Comment

You are kidding right? This is Forex where a drop in a cent in a day on the Pound against the Euro makes the headlines of the BBC.

When we crashed out of the ERM we were still talking about US cents and pfennigs in the single digits.

I think a market movement of half a cent in decline in that space of time is quite important.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  You are kidding right?
                  No, I am not kidding - that drop means tulip (macroeconomically) when food inflation is in double digits.

It certainly means a lot to those who make bets on movements of currency, but it is totally and utterly stupid to present pathetic 1% drop in currency value as some kind of disaster or even response to inflation figures which are far far higher than 1%.

Here is data for last year: Monthly Exchange Rate Average (Euro, British Pound) 2010 - x-rates

You see monthly changs of +/- 3% every month? Nothing to write home about.

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  I think a market movement of half a cent in decline in that space of time is quite important.
                  It was market opening - of course change would be "significant" if present in the chart on top, but if you look
                  at a big picture like I posted you will see that it's nothing to write home about - only dirty spekulants would care much about it.

HTH

Comment

Trend is measured with the rate of change not time, i.e. "a general direction in which something is developing or changing"
                    Trend is change over time - there is no trend to speak of in currency/stock market if you look at a few hours of trading.

Comment

Working...
                    X