• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do????

I was contacted recently regarding a plum role long term, excellent money in a country that I’m intending to move to.

Only snag is current contract doesn’t end for another couple of months and they need someone in a few weeks and won’t wait even with a months notice period.

Current line manager may be amenable as they know I’m looking to move and would prefer I’d stay with the clientco but will be ok about it when I go and they are willing to extten me till I move.

Because the market I work in is niche, these roles don’t come up very often, so by the time I’m looking to move the market may have gone quiet.

Do I have a chat with my manager or do I hope that something may come up when the time comes?
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Unprofessional, but.... if you're moving country, can you afford to burn a bridge by say going sick then handing in your notice?

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I was contacted recently regarding a plum role long term, excellent money in a country that I’m intending to move to.
      Are you a plum picker?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Unprofessional, but.... if you're moving country, can you afford to burn a bridge by say going sick then handing in your notice?
        not such a good idea and there's the chance I may not get it
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The market is niche, but they won't wait even a whole month?

Hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Only snag is current contract doesn’t end for another couple of months and they need someone in a few weeks and won’t wait even with a months notice period.

Current line manager may be amenable as they know I’m looking to move and would prefer I’d stay with the clientco but will be ok about it when I go and they are willing to extten me till I move.

Because the market I work in is niche, these roles don’t come up very often, so by the time I’m looking to move the market may have gone quiet.

Do I have a chat with my manager or do I hope that something may come up when the time comes?
            First don't jump through hoops for anyone, you lower yourself in their eyes and look desperate (not a good look for a contractor).

Say you have a months notice, you will speak with your current client and see if they will accept 3 weeks.
            But if they will not accept this, then you really don't want to work for them as they will treat you the same.
            I have often had agents say you must start next week, I said no, only to get a call on the Friday when they could not find anyone else agreeing to my start date.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

If you are still in the same arena I think you are then get in front of the new client and wow them. They will wait for quality. Wriggling out of the current one is tricky without leaving a bad taste. I think if you have good relations and explain you are moving abroard rather than just jumping for better gig it will help. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                If you are still in the same arena I think you are then get in front of the new client and wow them. They will wait for quality. Wriggling out of the current one is tricky without leaving a bad taste. I think if you have good relations and explain you are moving abroard rather than just jumping for better gig it will help. Good luck.
                Current line manager knows I want to move abroad and is fine with it, even willing to keep me on till I want to move.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Current line manager knows I want to move abroad and is fine with it, even willing to keep me on till I want to move.
                  Difficult. I have found in similar situations that an offer to be available over the phone and by email to smooth the transition / handover is always greatly appreciated, even if it is rarely taken up when it comes to it.

Comment

Who is telling you they won't wait, the client or the agent?

Tell the agent what they want to hear and get an interview, then go from there. Once the client knows you and, hopefully, likes you, you are in a position to negotiate.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X