• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK heads for a double "dip"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK heads for a double "dip"

Britain 'on the edge of a double dip recession' - Telegraph

...no probs just need to invest billions in green technologies to kick start it.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Britain 'on the edge of a double dip recession' - Telegraph

...no probs just need to invest billions in green technologies to kick start it.
    Paddy is currently making arrangements to retire abroad.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's not double dip since last Q was not negative, the Telegraph is just trying to make out a scary story out of disappointment there is no double dip (yet).

Now the way oil prices and other commodities go we'll have one very soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Paddy is currently making arrangements to retire abroad.
        Those who refer to themselves in the third person should fook off abroad now!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          DimPrawn agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            But Paddy is a sockie
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No surprise that growth is sluggish. The economy is in a terrible state and you can't turn it around in a year or two.

It will take even longer because manufacturing is not benefiting from the weaker pound yet, and that's because there isn't a lot of manufacturing capacity left.

(And before anyone says that was down to Thatcher, manufacturing was 26% of GDP when she got in, 22% when the tories were finally kicked out, but only 12% when they got back in.)

That is why the government has got to encourage manufacturing - reducing red tape and over-the-top uncompetitive employment legislation would be a big step.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                DimPrawn agrees.
                SimonMac Likes This Post :thumbs:
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  No surprise that growth is sluggish. The economy is in a terrible state and you can't turn it around in a year or two.

It will take even longer because manufacturing is not benefiting from the weaker pound yet, and that's because there isn't a lot of manufacturing capacity left.

(And before anyone says that was down to Thatcher, manufacturing was 26% of GDP when she got in, 22% when the tories were finally kicked out, but only 12% when they got back in.)

That is why the government has got to encourage manufacturing - reducing red tape and over-the-top uncompetitive employment legislation would be a big step.
                  Totally agree with you and I would like to add that the current UK economy is based on the public sector. Ie., Paying high taxes to keep jobs worth civil servants in employment and paying for public sector pensions.

Comment

The UK economy is shafted because of the uncompetitive workforce. This isn't solely down to red tape, it has more to do with the relatively low level of education and high cost of living (which leads to high wages) which makes British workers poor value.

The biggest obstacle to doing something about it, IMO, is the anti intellectual attitude of a large proportion of the population. We have millions of thick people who are in fact so thick that they are unable even to imagine that not everyone is as thick as them.

I agree red tape is a problem for the manufacturing industry, getting anything made in modern Britain is a major undertaking. It is generally cheaper and simpler to outsource the work to e.g. China, Ireland, Portugal or elsewhere in the EU. I would also argue that if we had less thickos who needed saving from their own stupidity a lot of the red tape would be unnecessary.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X