• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Angling for redundancy from permie job.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angling for redundancy from permie job.

Ok, first yes I know, I know. Shut it. I'm a contractor who just kind of fell in to a permie role and it has always paid so well that I've never made it back to proper work.

However I took an intra-company transfer to a new role six months ago and it's been crap pretty much from day one. Boss's boss got sacked four months ago and it's pretty obvious the writing is on the wall for what's left of the department. The office politics is tedious and it's just a depressing situation.

I've got about five years living costs saved up so I could just jack it right now. I plan to take six months or so off to stick my feet up, do some travelling, work on some side businesses before attempting to pick up a contract.

However if I get a redundancy package I'd be looking at 17.5-35k. Having sniffed around the intranet for various insecure spreadsheets it's likely to be on the lower hand of that. It would pain me to leave that on the table.

So has anyone successfully angled for redundancy before getting out of a permie job? Should I just stop putting effort in? Ask my boss outright?
    Last edited by DieScum; 27 April 2011, 17:35.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    However if I get a redundancy package I'd be looking at 17.5-35k. Having sniffed around the intranet for various insecure spreadsheets it's likely to be on the lower hand of that.
    It will be closer to 0 if you get caught ...

Other than that I'd take redundancy as it should be tax free unless your opportunity cost is much higher, something that is possible but highly unlikely as otherwise you would not be stuck in a tulip job.

Comment

Sleep with your boss's boss a few times, then dump them. That should get you paid off and out the door.

Comment

The only time it's worth being a smoker is in situations like this..........
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

So has anyone successfully angled for redundancy before getting out of a permie job? Should I just stop putting effort in? Ask my boss outright?
          Does the company have an internal bulletin board, or a culture of email discussions with large mailing lists, even the whole site?

If so, a good way to gain the "wrong" kind of visibility would be to start a discussion relating your disillusion, and wondering if anyone else had noticed the frought atmosphere. Of course, you need to pitch it based on what you know the bosses know everyone knows, if you see what I mean, and not overdo the negative vibes and be blatantly insulting or stirring it.

I did the same in the early 90s when a large US company I was at were downsizing, and sure enough within a month I was front of the queue, with a nice fat redundancy cheque, ta very much.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X