• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sometimes I wonder how people get jobs in IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I wonder how people get jobs in IT

I am working with a contractor from India (who is on one of those Work Visa's) who is suppose to have more knowledge of the product we are supporting than I do. Every time this contractor talks, I question (in my head) whether the contractor has any knowledge of the product, or even any IT knowledge at all. How in the hell do people like this contractor get IT jobs?

I was partly on the fence (leaning on the side of not liking foreign workers taking UK IT Jobs) before, but now that I have experience the numptyness of this contractor, I am now of the opinion that any company that outsources their IT infrastructure to India should be shot in public.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Has he asked you for the codes yet?

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      I am working with a contractor from India (who is on one of those Work Visa's) who is suppose to have more knowledge of the product we are supporting than I do. Every time this contractor talks, I question (in my head) whether the contractor has any knowledge of the product, or even any IT knowledge at all. How in the hell do people like this contractor get IT jobs?

I was partly on the fence (leaning on the side of not liking foreign workers taking UK IT Jobs) before, but now that I have experience the numptyness of this contractor, I am now of the opinion that any company that outsources their IT infrastructure to India should be shot in public.
      On a straw poll of 1. Are you a daily wail reader?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I have found the same with some of the guys from India (Not all). There is a tendency to oversell anything. I was working with a company from India that on the box promised a revolutionary technology. When I was working at a bank we had them in 5 times to even get a PoC working, we found it to be no more than a prototype and the abolute drivel that came out of this guys mouth was unbelievable, blaming any part of our infrastructure to try and hide the faults in his product.

it was the same when I travelled in India, you just cant get a straight answer. The culture does not permit them to lose face, they will always pretend to know the answer rather than just saying they dont know. You have to learn to phrase your qeustions so that a yes is not a sufficient answer. For example:

Dont ask "Is this the way to accomplish this task"

Ask "What is the best wat to accomplish this task"

Comment

Next time you have a meeting with him and someone from management, suggest he puts some training material together for you and the team so you can make the most of his experience and get some extra value from his time with you.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Here is one of the tests I use when checking Indian workers.
            Does he have good teeth?

No, then his family were poor and would not have had the money to send him to Uni. He may have done some kind of test for a company in India and if he passed they would have given him some kind of training, faked his papers and will be taking most of his pay.

Yes, well at least he has been to Uni. but if his family are well off, he may have paid someone to do some of his papers or exams. He may also have been given a job in a company dealing with product, but may not have done any work.

I am not saying this applies to all Indians, but it does apply to some I have worked with.

HTH
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I recently had one our Bobs trying to build a Solaris Jumpstart server and struggling, escalated up to me. Told me none of the commands I gave him worked and would I do the needful and help with the upgradation.

He was logged into the attached Sun StorEdge storage array and trying to build it on that!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Next time you have a meeting with him and someone from management, suggest he puts some training material together for you and the team so you can make the most of his experience and get some extra value from his time with you.
                Whilst he hasn't done much in terms of the workload, he is still the managements favourite. I am keeping my opinions to myself from management, as I don't want to be seen as a complainer. Carry on doing the work I am doing and hoping for the best. In the line of work I do (IT Security), we are suppose to promote the idea of access of least required (especially if contractually required). On a recent training course we both attended, the statement that came out of his mouth made my jaw drop through the floor. That doesn't happen with any other security professional.

I hardly talk to him these days, only to answer his numpty questions. Even when we have lunch together, I am more interested in listening to other peoples conversations than listening to him. Also I find the TV more entertaining.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  Here is one of the tests I use when checking Indian workers.
                  Does he have good teeth?

No, then his family were poor and would not have had the money to send him to Uni. He may have done some kind of test for a company in India and if he passed they would have given him some kind of training, faked his papers and will be taking most of his pay.

Yes, well at least he has been to Uni. but if his family are well off, he may have paid someone to do some of his papers or exams. He may also have been given a job in a company dealing with product, but may not have done any work.

I am not saying this applies to all Indians, but it does apply to some I have worked with.

HTH
                  That test doesn't apply. He has good teeth, but is room sharing with another guy who came from India. He hasn't had much in terms of income until this contract landed on his lap.

Comment

That test doesn't apply. He has good teeth, but is room sharing with another guy who came from India. He hasn't had much in terms of income until this contract landed on his lap.
                    Compared to India even middle class people Indians would struggle in the UK, price difference is extreme. But he could have used his connections to get a role in a company using the product. CV and real exposure to applications can be quite different.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X