• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just welled up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just welled up...

Came in for a break from the gardening and flicked the telly on.

Channel 5 showing Ben Hur. At the moment I switched on it was the scene in which Judah, exhausted and parched with thirst, is refused water by the Roman guard. Then we see a shadow loom over his prone body and a pair of hands proferring a bowl of water.

They are the hands of Christ. Very moving movement. Absolutely brilliant film. Would love to see it on the big screen again.

Don't think I'll be watching the rest of it though. Got a lawn to edge up.

Might come in for the bit where he discovers his mother and sister in the valley of the lepers and again for the ending where he witnesses the crucifixion.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Channel 5 showing Ben Hur. At the moment I switched on it was the scene in which Judah, exhausted and parched with thirst, is refused water by the Roman guard. Then we see a shadow loom over his prone body and a pair of hands proferring a bowl of water.

They are the hands of Christ. Very moving movement. Absolutely brilliant film. Would love to see it on the big screen again.

Might come in for the bit where he discovers his mother and sister in the valley of the lepers and again for the ending where he witnesses the crucifixion.
    oh great. and where were you namby pamby whinging 'what have the Romans ever done for us' lefties
    when the fkng Romans were nailing ME and my mates up

-Spartacus

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Don't remember reading that bit in the bible, not that it would mean it happened either as it's a work of fiction. Other films should have guest appearances of Jesus.

Comment

Ended up watching it all.

Back to my edging duties today. Only got one of those little half moon shaped spades.

Gonna take ages.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Other films should have guest appearances of Jesus.
          He was excellent in South Park, but rather overshadowed by Satan. That film makes me well up.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Don't remember reading that bit in the bible, not that it would mean it happened either as it's a work of fiction. ...
            Not really. It's a collection of 66 books, and only a few of them are classifiable as "fiction". Others are historical (really), myth, personal letters, collections of sayings, tradition, genealogies, letters, poems, and/or many other literary genres. Some of them are even theological.

A lot of the power of the Bible is in the story. And that's why people can find Ben Hur moving - it taps into "the story" - archetypes, myths etc.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And this ladies and gents is where the sockpuppet starts laying out the framework for his trolling. You would think that whoever is pulling the strings would learn to develop a character a bit better before cutting to the chase.

A big give away is when a poster comes onto what is primarily a technology focused forum and doesn't talk about technology at all but invariably starts wittering on about trains or gardening; relentlessly. Most people on here normally build up to spouting tulip all day long.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Ended up watching it all.

Back to my edging duties today. Only got one of those little half moon shaped spades.

Gonna take ages.
                would it be quicker if you had 2?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                X