• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boredom kills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boredom kills

Watched this documentary last night as it's based not far from my home town so was intrigued:

Shed Your Tears and Walk Away

Quite staggering how otherwise intelligent people go down a destructive path seemingly through boredom. Depressing that the parents are content to risk their kids doing the same instead of getting out of the place. I suppose many towns have the same problem just less evident due to the small size of Hebden Bridge.

Does make me think about how easy it would be to get sucked into boozing every day, as an alternative to watching crap on TV or the monotony of a normal working life.

Life's just a journey but it can sometimes be a struggle to find things that interest you enough to avoid these sort of traps along the way.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Many years ago I wondered if there was something in the water in Hebden Bridge. Does it still have a hippy community? The textile mills were mostly shut the last time I visited, so I dont suppose there's much work there now.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I think most of the work revolves around its status as a tourist attraction.

Maybe the hippy commune roots does play a factor in why so many feel drugs and drink is an ok pasttime. Though with the number of the same in other towns nearby I think that's more an excuse.

One of those interviewed in the film says it's a druggie town with a tourist problem.

I suppose it boils down to people needing something to keep them sane from the monotony of everyday life. Usually work or hobbies or raising children (a job in itself day in day out) keeps most people in check.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
      X